21.

Steve continues to lead us as we come to a crossroads

Steve continues to lead us as we come to a crossroads. "God." Lucas says from in front of Max. "What is this place?" Max asks curiously from in front of me. "You guys come on. Let's keep moving." Steve says leading the way down one of the tunnels.

I hear Dustin scream and I turn around and run back to him. "Dustin!?" I yell as I come up to him and see him laying on the ground.

"What is it? What happened?" Steve asks panicked as he comes up beside me and places his hand on my shoulder. "IT'S IN MY MOUTH! SOME GOT IN MY MOUTH! SHIT!" Dustin screams as he takes his bandanna off and coughs. "Oh shit." I hear Steve mutter from beside me. We share a worried look as Dustin continues to cough and spit.

"I'm okay." Dustin says calmly and I sigh. "Are you serious?" Max asks from beside me. "You're funny man. Nice. Really nice." Steve says sarcastically as he turns and walks away. "Jesus what an idiot." Max says as the rest of us follow after Steve. "Hang on wait." Dustin says as he gets up and follows after us.

We continue walking and Max pulls me back away from the group. "So, you and my brother?" She asks in a suggestive tone. I roll my eyes and quietly chuckle.

"Yeah, we were supposed to go on a date tonight but that didn't really work out." I say disappointedly while continuing to follow several steps behind the others.

"If it makes you feel any better-" Max begins, "- he talks about you all the time." She says to try and cheer me up. I stop walking and turn to look at her. "Really?" I ask not believing her. "Yeah, like 24/7." She says with a laugh. I smile and look down.

"He won't be mad at you. He likes you way too much." She says and hits my shoulder lightly and I laugh. "You really think so?" I ask in a hopeful tone. "I know so." She replies with a smile. "I've never seen him actually in love with a girl. But I guess you're special." Max says and I blush. "Thank you." I say as I wrap my arm around Max's shoulder. She smiles and we walk back to the group which is now stopped.

"Alright Wheeler, I think we found your hub." Steve says from the front of the group. We all shine our flashlights around and look at all the tunnels around us in shock.

"Let's drench it." Mike says as he holds up his can of gasoline. We all get a can of gasoline and start pouring it everywhere. Lucas sprays gasoline on the ceiling of the hub as Max and I take the left wall and begin drenching it.

Finally satisfied with our work we make our way back to the tunnel we came from. "Alright, you guys ready?" I ask everyone, crouched down beside Steve.

I hear a chorus of 'yeahs' and 'ready's' from behind me and I nod. "Alright. Let's blow this popsicle stand." I say as I summon a flame in my hand. I bend down and light the gasoline on fire and usher everyone to go back in the direction we came from. We run back towards the way we came from with Steve leading the way and me in the back.

As we're running I see Mike trip in front of me and scream. I see a vine wrap around his leg and everyone else turns around and runs back to us. I kneel down beside him and set the vine on fire. It releases Mike and Steve and Lucas quickly help Mike up.

We hear roaring and turn around to see Dart blocking our path. Steve and I get in front of the kids to try and protect them. Dustin moves in front of us and Steve grabs his shoulder to try and get him behind us again.

"Dart." Dustin says brushing off Steve's hand and moving closer to Dart. We all protest and try to get Dustin to come back but he simply sushes. "Trust me. Please." Dustin says calmly.

Dart walks closer to him and I get ready to use my powers if necessary. "Hey, it's me, it's me. It's your friend, it's Dustin." Dustin says as he removes his goggles and bandanna so Dart can see his face.

"Do you remember me?" Dustin asks as he crouches down in front of Dart. Dart makes a sound in return and Dustin nods. "Alright, will you let us pass?" He asks in a hopeful tone. Dart opens his face and roars in response. The kids back away as Steve and I step forward.

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry." Dustin replies trying to calm Dart down. "I'm sorry about the storm cellar. I know that was a pretty shitty thing to do." Dustin says as he holds up his hands to show he meant no harm.

"You hungry?" Dustin asks as he motions to his backpack. Dart makes a noise in response and Dustin takes off his backpack. "Yeah?" Dustin asks and goes rummaging through his backpack for something.

"He's insane." Lucas says from behind me. We all turn and sush him. And he holds up his hands in mock surrender.

"I've got our favorite, nougat." Dustin says while holding up a 3 Musketeers candy bar. Dart growls in response and nods his head. Dustin opens the candy bar as Dart walks closer. He sits it down in front of Dart and Dart starts eating it. "There, eat up buddy." Dustin says and motions for us to pass. Max goes first followed by Mike, Lucas, Me, and then Steve who waits for Dustin.

Dustin gets up and walks past Dart. Dart turns and looks up at him and growls then goes back to eating the candy bar. "Goodbye buddy." Dustin says in a sad tone. I put a hand on his shoulder and motion for him to go in front of me.