53.

I take out the letter I wrote for Hopper and sit in front of his grave

I take out the letter I wrote for Hopper and sit in front of his grave. I sigh as tears form in my eyes as I look down at the tombstone.

"Dear Dad, I don't know if you can even hear this. Three years ago I would have said this was impossible but I was in the lab and I didn't know anything about monsters or alternate dimensions. So much has happened since you left. El was a total mess and so was I. Joyce was also really upset but she tried to be strong for me and El. I'm living with Billy and Max in that, lovely, trailer park off Curley. Basically, ever since you left, everything has been a total disaster. And the worst part is I can't tell anyone why you're gone. I can't tell them that you saved all of our lives. I imagine that moment in my head all the time. I imagine what you were thinking at that moment. What you looked like. I sometimes wonder what would have happened if I had gone with you. I imagine that if I had, that you would still be here. And everything would be right again. I imagine that we could have become closer like a real father and daughter should be. That we would still stay up watching Westerns until we dozed off. I imagine that we would still be eating Ego extravaganzas with El. I imagine that I could have introduced you to Billy, properly. And I know that's stupid and that will never happen. I just didn't go with you. I just didn't force you to take me with you to destroy that stupid machine. For a while, I tried to be happy. Normal. But I think maybe a part of me died that day too. And I haven't told anyone this. I just can't. But I had to tell you before it's too late. If you can even hear this I, really hope that you can. I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry Dad. Love your shitty daughter, Amelia."

I wipe away my tears and fold the letter up and put it back in the envelope. I look up as the wind starts blowing and the sky turns black.

I hear Hopper laughing and then I hear Billy join in followed by Henry. "Amelia." Hopper says and I gasp as tears form in my eyes. I turn to see Hopper, Billy, and Peter walking towards me but they all look like they did when they died.

"I've been waiting to hear those words, Amelia." Hopper says. "Waiting so very long." Hopper says and tears stream down my cheeks as I stand up. "But it wasn't the full truth was it Amelia?" Hopper asks me as I start to sob. Hopper is now directly in front of me with Henry and Billy on either side of him. Hopper wipes away my tears and sends me a small smile.

"You know I think there's a part of you buried somewhere deep that wanted me to die that day." Hopper says and I shake my head. "That was even relieved. Happy." Hopper says with a smile.

"Dad, no that's not true." I say as I continue to shake my head. "That's why you didn't come with me, isn't it Amelia? It's okay you can admit it now. No more lies. No more hiding." Hopper says as he places his hand on my cheek.

"Dad, that's not true. I swear. I swear. I swear." I repeat as I back away from him. "That is why you feel such guilt. Why you hide from your friends. Why you hide from Billy. Why you hide from the world. And why, late at night, you have sometimes wished to follow me." Hopper says as I continue to deny what he is saying and back away from him.