45.

Hawkins Lab 1979

Hawkins Lab 1979

I sit beside Eleven as she tries to make a round chip go down in between several pegs, trying to get the chip to land in the number three section. Eleven sighs as the chip lands on the number five slot. She gathers the chips as I help her.

Eleven and I turn around as we feel multiple people staring at us. We see Four, Five, and Six glaring at us and I look over at Eleven as she starts to tremble in fear. Eleven jumps and drops the chips and I quickly help her gather them. I go to pick up the final chip but I look up as someone else's hand reaches the chip first. I look up to see the guard, Peter, who I know by his real name, Henry smiling at me.

"Are you open for something a little more challenging?" He asks as he looks over at Eleven. Eleven nods and Henry stands up and Eleven does as well. Henry offers me his hand and I take it with a small smile. We walk over to the chess board and Elevn sits across from Henry as I sit between the two.

"Try not to show any emotion as I speak, okay?" Henry says as he glances up at Eleven and I. "Just keep playing the game if you understand." He says speaking directly to Eleven this time. Eleven moves her piece forward and I look at Henry.

"Two is still in the infirmary recovering." Henry says, referring to Two being shocked for hurting Eleven and I last night. That's the reason Four, Five, and Six were glaring at Eleven and I.

"He's being watched now, but once he is released, he and the others are going to attempt to kill both of you. Right here, in this room. And Papa will allow it to happen." Henry says with a hint of anger in his tone as he glances at me.

"In fact, he wants it to happen. He's been planning it for some time now." Henry explains and my eyes widen as Eleven takes a shaky breath. "Stay calm." Henry says as he subtly reaches under the table and grabs my hand to comfort me. "Focus on the game." He says to Eleven as she moves another chess piece.

"There's a reason why Two and the others were able to escape their room last night. Why the security cameras were turned off. Why Papa punished Two today." Henry explains and Eleven looks down as I quietly sigh.

"They don't even realize it, but he is moving them like pieces on this board here. Driving them to do exactly what he wants, which is..." Henry explains and Eleven and I's eyes widen understanding what Henry was saying.

"Why?" Eleven and I ask in unison. "You both frighten him. He knows you are both more powerful than the others. And he also knows he can't control you. That's all he wants. Control." Henry says and Eleven and I both look down; Eleven in shock, me in anger.

"I saw all this happening. That's why I wanted to help you, but I only made things worse." Henry says sorrowfully. "Helping us, made Papa hurt you." I say remembering Eleven and I seeing Henry get shocked by guards last night while Papa watched. Henry nods and Eleven sighs and looks down. "And it is why you must escape." Henry says as he looks between Eleven and I. "Today." Henry says and Eleven and I look up at him. "Today." He repeats and I squeeze his hand.