Chapter 1

My eyes flew open as I sat up. Yet another dream about North.

I was still wearing my suit, previously knocked out on my desk. The recent amount of work left me with dark circles under my eyes and days without sleeping. I moved my neck around, trying to relieve the stiffness.

Wonderful. My neck was sore.

I glanced at the clock.

2:47AM it read.

I walked up the stairs to change and climbed into bed. The lights were off and everything was still. Silent.

I shut my eyes and tried to go back to sleep. I tossed and turned, trying to find a comfortable position. Finally, after what seemed like hours, I opened my eyes and checked my watch.

3:10AM.

Still?

I had enough sense and knowledge accumulated through my eighty decades of living to know that I won't be falling asleep anytime soon. (Thanks, brain!!!)

I stood up and turned on the lights. I walked to the bathroom and looked in the mirror.

Wow, I look like shit.

The dark

I went and made myself a coffee then sat back down on my desk in my office. I looked at the piles of paperwork screaming at me to read and sign all of them. I pushed them to the side, closing my eyes and trying to relax.

'Why are you so shaken about North?' I buried my face in my hands again. 'Get a grip, South. That war happened years ago. A long time ago. North chose to turn against me. He's a stranger. My brother is not that sadistic animal.'

Yes, I was still sad, but that thing is not my brother.

I sighed, checking my schedule in case there was anything important to tend to for today.

No meetings, no public speeches, no appearances I needed to make.

Huh. I was as free as a bird. Unusual. Apart from my usual work, I didn't have anything urgent to do.

I got up and looked outside the window. It was still very dark outside, which was usually when my people were still asleep in this ungodly hour.

Which meant there was no one outside to swarm or stare at me the moment I stepped out my door.

I grabbed my coat from my closet and went outside, trying to take a walk.

The cool air was heavenly compared to the stuffy air in my office. Inside, it was stuffed full of papers and seemed to always give me a headache no matter what. Outside, it was free and fresh and cool.

I walked in a leisurely pace, looking around Seoul. It looked very different compared to what it was 74 years ago. I smiled at the thought.

Seven decades and a half is all we need to rebuild ourselves. To stand back up when your idiotic brother tries to take everything from you.

Okay that sounds corny.

I went back