Separation

August 17th, 1945

Four countries stood in a room, two on one side, two on the other.

"Well then, shall we get on with the division?" America asked, twirling his pen.

Soviet Union's eyes glazed over the sheet of paper he was supposed to sign. He gripped his pen. Goshdammit. He wanted the take over the entire peninsula. With a flourish of his hand, he signed his signature on it.

America and the Soviet Union looked over at the two Koreas expectantly. The two Koreas didn't say anything, keeping their eyes fixated on each other.

'These people, who saved us from Japan, are trying to divide us? Why can't they leave us alone? No one does!'

The Southern one thought, feeling tears sting in his eyes. The Northern one wanted to go over to his brother badly, but knew that he would be restrained.

"If you two don't want to be waiting for long, you better sign it." USSR snapped.

North, with a shaky hand, reluctantly signed it. South looked at him in shock, while North avoided his gaze.

Feeling all eyes on him, he took a deep breath and wrote his signature on the horrible peice of paper.

"Well, that's done." America said while skimming the words. "We shall leave now."

The last thing South remembered about his brother, was the sorrowful look that was given to him while being dragged away by the red communist countryhuman.

While walking, South looked at America. "Will.. will we ever be reunited?"

America looked at him with a half-hardened, half-I-don't-know face. "You both will eventually unite."

But with America refusing to withdraw troops, that day never came.

Eventually, the two brothers became seperate countries in 1948. 'Finally, we are countries.' South, now South Korea, thought. 'But at what cost?'

His face wasn't the Korean Empire's flag anymore. Rather, it was a revamp of it. He still had a white flag base with the four lines on the sides, but the center, instead of a swirl pattern of red and blue, was much more vibrant with a yin yang shape.

He knew his brother had completely changed his flag though, and wasn't sure of what to think of him anymore. He was communist, violent, and tensions were arising. He hoped this didn't end in a war.

                           ...

"Sir! We are running out of ammunition! What do we do?!" A young soldier yelled over the noise of gunfire.

South ducked after a grenade exploded near him. "Retreat! We cannot last against the North Korean army! Retreat!" He yelled. The North Korean soldiers were advancing, and they could last no longer.

He had one last look at the North Korean army before fleeing. North Korea, in his Soviet uniform, ordered his men.

South waited until North glanced at him, and shot him a hateful but sad glare. Then, he finally retreated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"America! North Korea has started a war! Is there any way you can help me?" South asked in English.

America looked at his army General, McArthur. "Send an infantry unit to Korea, now." He said sternly.

South breathed a sigh of relief, but the truth of war sank into his heart. He had to accept the truth.

His brother and him were now at war.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Present Day

"Um.. Seoul? Is there anything to eat? I'm quite hungry." South Hwanghae asked. She and Seoul had become quite good friends in the time she and her brother had been staying there.

"Yeah sure! I have some ice cream that I made. I like making food, seeing as my citizens are crazy about it." Seoul smiled.

South Hwangehae cocked her head. ""ice cream"? What's that?"

Seoul gaped at her. "Do you not know what that is?!" She asked in disbelief, taking one from the fridge.

"Ohhh! You mean ice sweets?" South Hwanghae said.

Seoul looked at her in confusion, before reality sinking in. Without thinking, she laughed.

"I forgot! North and South Korea have different dialects of Korean." She laughed, lightly tapping her head.

"In what way are they different?" South Hwanghae asked.

"South Koreans "borrowed" words from the English language. But you guys, use the literal Korean words for the words we use with English. For example, for you guys ice cream is "어름 과자" which literally means "ice sweets," Seoul replied. "But for us, it's 아이스크림, which is basically 'ice cream' with Korean words." She explained.

"Oh! I get it now." South Hwanghae said.

"I think it will be better for me to use the Choson-gul while speaking to you and North Hwanghae." Seoul said.

"Agreed." South Hwanghae replied, smiling.

...

South watched the province and city chat while eating their ice creams, and couldn't help but smile. 'Fascinating' He thought. 'Even in times of war, people still find ways to be happy and relaxed, even if it's just a moment.'

He turned around and walked to his office. Most of his provinces have been stationed in various locations, so the place was quite quiet.

He went into his office, and looked at his jingum on the wall.

He spun it in his hands, the familiarity making him smile. He picked up a katana and tried both.

'Yep, I like the Jingum better.' He thought. It was lighter and thinner, thus making it much easier to wield. It was also more familiar to his hands, as his grandfather taught him how to use one.

"Back in the centuries, swords were very common. Even if you youngsters use all these firearms and loop-de-dahs, swords will always be important as a supreme weapon." Was what the Joseon Dynasty said. Indeed, he had gone through many invasions from China and Japan, so South and North trusted him.

Now, however, South doubted that swords would be vital in battle. However, he found comfort in sword-fighting. It took him back to days of his childhood.

Authors Note:

PHEW! Another chapter done. Sorry you bad to wait 5 days for this one 🥲 Writers bloc has been killing me