Three

With your arms crossed you leaned in a corner of the bar and let your gaze wander over all the people.

It was a mixed bunch, from Italiens to Spanish and Brits, to some Polish men and even a hand full of Austrians could be found.

Even people who weren't part of the European Union were present.

While wondering who was on the team, you took a sip of Guiness.

It didn't really matter who you had to work with, but even you knew that knowing a few faces and maybe getting to learn the basics about a teammate could come in handy at some point.

"Mind if I squeeze in?", a deep, raspy voice suddenly asked.

You liked the sound of it, tingling in the back of your head and making your toes curl.

A smirk appeared on your lips.

"If you insist.", you said and gestured towards the bench across from you without looking at him a single time.

A large shadow crossed the table.

"I'll take that as a yes."

From the corner of your eyes you managed to catch a glimpse of a grey shirt.

"Ah.", your eyebrows rose. "It's you."

A man, about the size of a giant but slim in stature, squeezed himself into the free space, a pint of the same beer you had in hand. His shoulders were massive, almost reaching from one side of the bench to the other.

The longer parts of his dark beard were shimmering with liquid and a bit of white foam from the Guiness.

Unmoved, he took a sip before putting it down and facing you properly.

"Already checking the competition?", he asked.

His hair was shorter than you had expected and it was so bringt that the tips seemed blondish grey.

But what really struck you was the bright blue of his eyes.
At first glance it seemed warm and soft. But after looking at them for a few moments they were hard and full of intelligence. He was a cold man, calculating and hard to shock. He had seen things and he took pride in the goals he had achieved.

He was a solider.

"How old?", you asked with a smirk and took a sip from your beer.

Unmoved, he met your gaze.

"Why ask?", he shot back.

You shrugged.

"Quality check."

His lips moved. He curled his nose. It made him look all grumpy and harsh.

He took a sip.

"What do you think?", he asked.

He had a thick accent, very British but not in a cliché, posh kind of way. He just sounded like any man from a working class family. It made him sound cocky though, cocky and a bit arrogant.

But to make up for his accent he had a kind face.

It was strange, usually you were good in reading people. But that man seemed to be one big mystery in every kind of way. He looked large and rough but sounded like a bloke. Yet the look on his face was enough to kill a man.

But judging by the way he carried himself he had quite the patience.

He would be a good fit for your team.

But before that you needed to answer his question.
With a shrug of your shoulders you enjoyed another sip of your drink.

"They look fine.", you said and glanced at him to catch his reaction. "But nothing special."

Agreeing, he hummed and looked around.

"Price.", he introduced himself with a nod of his head.

Still smirking, you looked him up and down.

He really was a handsome devil.

"Call me Captain.", you said.

One of his eyebrows rose while a thin smirk appeared on his face.

"Captain what?"

You shrugged.

"Just captain."

He nodded.

"You're an interesting one. Seen you in the halls at the congress meeting."

You rolled your eyes.

"Bunch of boring bullshit, no?"

Now he was the one to shrug his shoulders.

"Yeah, well, someone's gotta do the talking.", he curled his nose and smiled in a cocky, sarcastic way. "Saves my bacon once in a while."

You liked to see him do this. It made his nose crunch and his lips pull into a thin line until they disappeared inside the brown strands of his beard.

A huff escaped you.

"Your bacon...", you mumbled, amused. "You know what, pretty Price? I like you. Want to have another round with me?"

Without barring any eye he emptied his glass.

"Who am I to decline a free drink?", he asked with a charming smile.

One of your eyebrows rose.

"One?", you asked. "I thought you Brits can take more than that. What are you? American?"

He pulled a face.

"Don't offend me. We might end up on the same team."

"Right.", you called a waiter to order more drinks. "So, military, huh?"

"Special forces.", he confirmed.

"What kind?"

"SAS. For now."

"Ah. Are you as good of a shot as you are handsome?", you took a large sip of the fresh pint.

Unimpressed, he leaned back and crossed his arms in front of his narrow chest. As he did so, his biceps tensed and revealed a good amount of muscles.

He was well trained, athletic even. Combined with his above average height, he wasn't just intimidating but someone you preferred as a friend instead of a foe.

"You have a big mouth.", he noted with a bit of displeasure. "Could be an issue."

So that was his first weakness.

He wasn't easy to humour. Chances were quite high he didn't like to joke around and he was just one of many more hard, plain soldiers. Manly men without actual depths to themselves.

But you loved them just like this. It was a lot more fun to see them crumble under your constant sarcasm and cocky remarks. At some point he would snap and you would have the time of your life making fun about it.

With a devilish grin you grabbed your glass and emptied it in one go.

Price watched you with the eyes of a hawk. He wasn't impressed. But the shimmer in his eyes gave away that interest had awoken in him.

"Trust me...", you purred as you put the glass down. "There's a lot more where this is coming from."