Fourteen

"You alright?", Price asked, hands folded on the handle of his rifle while he was standing broad legged and eyed you from top to bottom.

Gifting him a charming grin, you pulled the parker back over your shoulders.

"Like what you see, beanie?", you asked and crossed your arms. "I know I'm a feast for the eyes."

Squeezing his eyes shut, he shook his head.

"And a torture to the ears."

"Don't insult me like that. It's not my fault you are as talkative as a brick wall. But now that I think about it... I've had better conversations with a wall than I had with you."

Unimpressed, he shrugged.

"Captain!", Garrick shouted across the hall.

Both you and Price reacted.

"Who?", you asked and gifted Price an annoyed look.

With an apologetic grin, Garrick nodded into his captains direction.

"Sir.", he said. "Let's settle on sir or captain Price for you."

A deep breath made the giants chest tremble.

Rocking back and forth on his heels, he grabbed the edge of his bullet proof vest and pulled it down to give himself more space to breathe.

"Well then.", he said, but it was audible how little he liked that idea. "What's on your mind?"

"He's talking to me, beanie.", you snarled.

Price glared at you.

But he kept his mouth shut. He probably didn't want one of his men to see how nasty he could be once his patience was running thin.

"Right.", Gaz turned to you. "About the hostage you took..."

"I took it.", Price corrected.

You snorted.

"Snob."

"Shut your trap."

"Make me."

"Captain. Both of you. This is ridiculous."

With a low growl, Price shrugged and turned back to him.

"Tell me about it.", he replied and brought some distance between him and you. "Is the hostage awake?"

Garrick nodded.

"She is. Not very friendly though."

Huffing, you managed to get back on your feet. It still hurt a little whenever you moved your shoulder, but the painkillers did their job well enough. Luckily, it was also just a graze.

But just like any injury it hurt more than it was worth it.

"Well, yeah, I didn't expect her to be.", Price curled his nose. "You good, captain?"

You smirked.

"Good enough to play good cop, bad cop.", you answered. "How's it? You or me?"

He shrugged.

"I'll be the bad copper then, if you don't mind. I look more frightening anyways."

Insulted, you frowned.

"The fuck is that supposed to mean?"

"Means you look like half a person."

"Now, don't get cocky. You're handsome, but not that handsome."

Baffled, Garrick stood a bit away and watched the scene. A strange expression appeared on his dark face. Then he frowned, both in shock and confusion.

"Are you two fuckin'?", he asked out of the blue.

Shocked, your and Price's head snapped into his direction.
A small laughter escaped you. But it was more a sound of horror than a sound of amusement.

"Bloody hell...", Price hummed, mouth slightly opened. "Are you serious?"

"Mad serious, sir."

"Don't get cheeky, sergeant. It won't do you any good."

But no matter how shocked Price was about that comment, you couldn't help but jump onto the opportunity to mess with him.

With a broad grin on your face you reached out and grabbed his collar to pull him down to you.

"You got a good eye, Gaz.", you purred and placed a teasing kiss on Price's bearded cheek. "I'm working on it."

Without wasting another second you started escaping as fast as it was humanly possible to you.

The time you and him had spent together as partners was still limited, but you dared to believe he would tear you apart if he had the chance to, injured or not.

And you didn't want to risk it.

"Good day, fuckers.", you greeted everyone as you stepped into the room. "Where's the colonel?"

A group of men eyed you. Neither of them dared to respond.

With one raised eyebrow and both hands on your hips you met eyes with each one of them to silently demand that someone would talk to you.

But still, they kept their mouths shut.

"Captain.", a voice suddenly reached your ears.

It was rough and grumpy, but not as vibrating as the one of Price.

Someone else greeted you with a grim face instead.
It was an older man, well into his forties, maybe even older. He had a typical military haircut, trimmed and almost shaved down at the sides. A moustache made the lack of hair on his head appear unimportant.

But what really bothered you were those eyes.

They were hard, almost without any spark of life in them. A deep, dark shimmer was hidden inside.

Pride.

Impatience.

Arrogance.

All the things you hated to see in people. Especially in those you had to work with.

"And you are?", you asked, chin raised.

"The man you were looking for.", he answered in a dry manner.

A sarcastic sound escaped you.

"Trust me when I say I'm never looking for a man, colonel. Most of the time they are looking for me. Or my head."

Pulling a face, he shook his head.

"They warned me you'd be hard to deal with. Where's your partner."

"I don't have one."

"Yes you do.", Price cut you off.

Surprised that he had appeared out of thin air, you blinked.

"Is that my soulmate from heaven?", you asked, pretending he wasn't there. "Or hell?"

Price let out a deep breath.

"Fuck me if so.", he replied and positioned himself next to you.

You grinned.

"Is that an invitation?"

He ignored it.

Instead, his attention turned to the colonel.

But you were pleased to see that the look on his face wasn't a thrilled one either. So Price did have troubles with authority as well.

"Just to be clear, the captain and I share the same opinion.", he said without batting an eye. "But I know my way around words better."

"Hm?", you hummed to yourself, a grin on your lips. "Maybe we'll get along better than I thought."