Thirteen

"Captain!", Garrick called out as he and Alex managed to fight their way down to the battlefield.

As he spotted the two, Price raised his hand.

"Stop right there, sergeant.", he warned. "Go and secure the camp."

A thick veil of dust still covered a large part of the area, making it hard to get a good picture of the situation.

"Where's the captain?", Alex asked.

"Not sure yet. I'll handle it."

"Roger that, captain.", Alex nodded and walked past him to join the forces at the gate of the camp.

But Gaz stood back.

"Sir?", he locked eyes with the captain.

It was easy for Price to read that kind of look.

"Go on.", he allowed him to talk.

Garrick pulled a face. He hesitated.

"Did we make a loss already?"

Price breathed in sharply. Something inside his eyes hardened.

He didn't know why and also didn't want to find the answer to it, but he didn't like the thought that you had fallen. Truth be told, you were annoying as hell and got onto his last nerve already. But he couldn't deny the fact that you ignoring the rules of engagement helped with getting the job done.

It wasn't legal, but who was he to judge you for that? He had his own fair share of broken rules.

"Don't worry, sergeant.", Price patted his shoulder and moved on. "That one's tough."

Without another word of concern, Garrick stood behind while Price started examining the battlefield.

A thin layer of dust was still in the air, making colours seem less vibrant.

It scratched in his lungs as he took a deep breath and slid into the trench.

"Captain.", he asked over the radio. "Captain, Bravo 6 requests status."

You didn't answer.

A low growl escaped his lips. He pulled a face, but refused to stop.

Laswell was well know for her pickiness when it came to hiring people. But even after Price had asked all his questions she had not once doubted your abilities and didn't even mention a single negative thing besides, how she had put it, that a lot of patience was needed.

At least one of her warnings had turned out to be true, he did find you not just annoying but nerve wrecking.

And after seeing you act in combat he doubted that you were easy to kill.

Otherwise he might would have considered doing it himself.

"Captain.", he asked over the radio again, thinking he might be able to locate his own voice. "Bravo 6 to captain, demanding status report."

Rubble crunched under the soles of his combat boots.

All of a sudden a shadow appeared in the edge of his vision.

Immediately, he raised his gun.

But it was just the unconscious woman. He remembered that you had requested to take her hostage.

And he had to agree. A hostage would be of advantage, especially when it came to get hands on intel.

Lowering his rifle, he pulled out some handcuffs and approached her.

"Watch your steps... fucker.", your voice suddenly sounded out of nowhere.

Surprised, he froze.

"Captain.", he said as his eyes fell onto you, laying in a corner, covered in dirt and some blood. "You broken?"

You shrugged.

"Eh. Just a scratch...", with narrowed eyes you raised your hand to examine the wound that the blade had caused. "Step aside."

His eyes fell onto your shoulder.

"Bravo 6 to Echo 3–1.", he called over the radio.

"Echo 3-1 is listening."

"Prep medical. We've got an injured one."

"Roger that, Echo 3-1 out."

You rolled your eyes and let out a groan.

"Yeah, nice, I really appreciate you taking care of me. Now step to the side, beanie."

Confused, he frowned.

With an annoyed look on your face you managed to raise a hand and point at the ground.

He looked down. The tip of his boot was already slightly pressing onto the C4. More pressure and it would explode.

"You want to kill me already?", you asked with a sarcastic grin.

With a huff he stepped back and gifted you his lipless grin.

It made his nose crunch and some cute wrinkles appeared at the edge of his eyes. It made him look a little older than he probably was.

Just like any solider who had served once or twice, he looked rough. But his advantage was that he was devilishly handsome.

"I might consider.", he answered and picked the package up to examine it from all sides. "Yours?"

He pointed at the blood stains.

With your last strength you pulled yourself up.

"Probably.", you moved your shoulder to check if anything was seriously damaged. "But I got you a nice present. Look at that cunt, all passed out. Almost got me."

Agreeing, he eyed her for a moment before finally tying her hands. Then he turned to you again to provide support.

Breathing heavily, you leaned against his shoulder.

He smelled of ashes and something strange. It wasn't the smell of cigarettes, but rather much stronger.

A cigar, maybe.

"Bravo 6 to Echo 3-1.", Price called over the radio.

"Echo 3-1 is listening."

"Found captain. And some extra intel. Come and pick em' up."

"Roger that, captain, sir.", Garrick replied. "Medical is standing by."

"Roger."

Price's eyes turned back to you.

It wasn't that you were unable to walk at all, but after the damage that your shoulder had taken it felt like the pain wandered from the top right downwards and paralysed your feet.

It felt like walking on electricity. And it wouldn't go fast either.

Much to his displeasure.

"What?", you huffed as he dragged you up, back out of the trench. "Want me to fly instead, beanie?"

He let out a deep breath.

Malicious tongues would have said it was very close to a sound of amusement.

But you weren't suicidal enough to take that to the test.

"Watch your shoulder.", Price just said in a dry manner and let his hands slide underneath your legs.

Without hesitation, he picked you up and kept on walking as if you were as light as a feather.

Chuckling, you wrapped your arms around his neck.

"You should ask me out on a date first.", you teased.