Twenty-Two

With your arms crossed over the bulletproof vest of yours, you and Price stood around a table, eyes fixed onto a map of Europe.

"Looks nasty.", you noted, dead serious this time.

This wasn't the moment to be funny or childish.

This was serious shit that could throw the entire continent, if not world, into chaos.

You were annoying most of the times, but never unprofessional. This was a situation that demanded you to be a solider through and through.

Price hummed.

"Let's hope Laswell has some good news for us.", he said and walked to the other end of the map.

His eyes fell onto the UK islands.

A few red dots marked places close to London, Manchester, Dublin and other big cities.

Those very same dots marled places all over Europe.

Not a single country was spared, except Luxemburg and Switzerland. Those two countries were probably too small to be involved in anything of this size.

The most marked countries were alarmingly big and well off financially, such as Germany, France and Poland.

"Laswell never has good news.", you mumbled and checked if the USA were on the map as well.

They were, most of the states unmarked.

Mainly Texas, Florida, Alabama and Wyoming we're covered.

There was a dull voice in the back of your head that told you what that possibly could mean.

Most of the countries and states were considered conservative or patriotic.

Germany's main history was about national socialism, Poland always had been considered conservative and not fit to the European standards of equal rights and religionless laws.

The far right wing in France was growing and Austria already did have a president that could have been considered a nazi.

And the Tori party in the UK also consisted of a bunch of questionable people.

Either way, all the signs pointed to a problem of radical right wing people trying to break the international community.

You weren't sure if they just wanted to shatter the EU or if they wanted walls again, with borders separating people from people.

No matter what, it wouldn't lead to a world of peace and hand in hand work. And the past had shown that the exact opposite wasn't an option either.

Italy's politicians were corrupt enough to turn the country into a playground for the mafia and drug productions.

Spain would fall into financial ruin since the government didn't do their part to fight against low wages and the high unemployment rates.

Russia was a threat anyways, but with Belarus and Hungary on their side and an unhealthy amount of national pride the Eastern European countries could fall into war.

If the European Union would break there wouldn't be anyone to prevent the continent from turning into a battlefield.

That also threatened the stability of the NATO, since it was purely based on communication and cooperation.

And if the United States would turn against everyone, there wasn't much left to do but pray for a quick death.
A deep sigh made your chest vibrate.

Squeezing your eyes shut, you had to gather your thoughts for a second.

"The situation isn't good.", Laswell confirmed as she entered the room.

Price hummed.

"Not good at all.", he agreed and glanced at you.

The look on your face was grim, but he seemed to understand that it wasn't dedicated towards himself.

"Give it to us straight, Katie.", you demanded. "If this is what I think it is then we need to act quickly."

She nodded and pointed at the map.

"These red dots...", she started.

"They mark the main groups, don't they?", Price asked right away without letting her finish. "How many are we talking?"

"We don't know. That's where you two come in."

You pulled a face.

"Continental missions, I supposed.", you eyed the map. "Alex on the other side of the ocean?"

"Right. Those locations aren't real intel, just us suspecting things. I don't have to explain that this needs to be discrete and quick at all times."

"Sure.", Price hummed.

"Host nation weapons only."

"You provide us?", you asked.

Laswell shook her head.

"I'm here as a NATO member.", she explained. "They gave me authority, but I'm not acting. Just giving orders and intel."

"Got it.", Price glanced at you again. "So who's providing us?"

"Friends.", you said, knowing exactly that this wasn't possible to pull off with official military gear. "I know some people."

"So do I. Mainly on the eastern part of the continent though."

A grin appeared on your face.

"Perfect. Mine are middle and south."

"Hm. Seems like we do make a better team than expected."

You gifted him a charming little wink.

"Music to my ears, beanie.", you purred.

Laswell ignored the fact that Price didn't react all too well to that statement and turned back to the map.

"Anyways, we need intel.", she said. "To justify the mission."

"As always.", you shrugged. "Where do we go?"

"Hamburg. Chances are high that the terrorists are located in places where they have access to the entire country. Hamburg has a port, lots of shipments and money flow. It's also well connected via trains and other transportation."

"Very well.", Price fixed his vest. "What are we looking for?"

"Timo.", you smiled. "Good guy, knows a lot. I've had the pleasure a few times already."

Price nodded.

"Good. We should get going then."

But Laswell held him back.

"Wait a moment.", she tapped the map. "It's just the two of you from now on. Garrick will stay in London and do his part there."

Frowning, Price turned to her.

"What's that supposed to mean?", he asked.

"That means he didn't get authority to step on the continent. Brexit rules. You were the only one granted exit."

A low huff escaped you, both amused and mocking.

"Just the two of us?", you asked in a teasing manner. "You sure you want him back after that? Might need to visit an asylum."

Pulling a face, he let out a deep sound, teeth clenched.

"You really can't leave it, can you?", he asked.