Thirty-Three

With your chin resting on one of your hands, you and Price were sitting in front of an open window of the second floor of a cafe and spied at the streets down below.

It was a nice day, sunny but not hot, with a bright blue sky and a few clouds. The smell of salt water was in the air.

In the distance, ships floated through the Weser.

If you would have had the chance you would have liked to take a stroll through Hamburg.

Maybe with Price together, have a couple of beers and some good food.

The fish was supposed to be quite good.

"Lots of traffic.", Price noted as he glanced out the window as if he was some tourist trying to enjoy the view.

You glanced up at him.

The bright sunlight painted a kind expression on his face.

He seemed relaxed, almost enjoying this moment of calmness.

The shade of his beard looked brighter, less tree bark coloured and more like the shell of a chestnut.

He had dodged the beanie for a fisher hat. The cord was wrapped behind the back of his head, making it look like a miracle that it remained on top.

A steaming cup of tea was sitting in front of him.

You hadn't been able to talk the Brit into some good, northern Germany black coffee.

"Fucking fisherman's friends.", you mumbled with a smirk.

He frowned.

"Come again?"

"Nothing. You got the rifle on you?"

"I do. Wouldn't be smart to point it out a window in the middle of the city though."

Sighing, you sat up straight.

"Just give me the telescope.", you did a gesture, waiting for him to place the tool in your hand.

He did as you asked.

Luckily, the rifle was a model that came with a telescope that could have been mistaken for normal binoculars.

An untrained eye would surely take you for a tourist who wanted to see the port at the other side of the river.

"See anything?", he asked and took a sip from his cup.

"Shut up and drink your tea, king Jonathan.", you smirked and turned in a very much none suspicious manner to check out the target building.

It was a none descriptive building, about a stones throw away of the city Center. It matched with the aesthetic of the surrounding buildings as well and must have been well over a century old. Maybe even more.

There was a bake shop at ground level, stairs that led into a pub in the basement and flats on the upper floors.

Nobody would have guess that the people who brought in freshly baked goods were probably smuggling guns and explosives.

You focused on one of the men, a guy in his early forties.

He was wearing a military shirt. That in itself wasn't a problem.

Lots of people liked to wear military attire, especially when it was warm, because it was designed to keep the body cool and helped with regulating sweat.

But he had a name tag sewn to the chest pocket. There even were rank patches on his shoulders.

He was a sergeant, if you remembered the German military symbols correctly.

"Huh.", you hummed and zoomed in. "Oh, that's giving bad vibes."

Price raised an eyebrow.

"Saw something interesting, luv?", he asked and gifted you a smile.

The gesture confused you.

"Why are you doing this?", you asked, almost frightened.

He tilted his head.

"What do you mean?"

"You act weird. It's creeping me out to be honest..."

Sighing, he threw a glance across the room and leaned in.

"We should act close.", he said.

You frowned.

"Like a couple?"

"Would be a good cover."

A snort escaped you.

"No chance, fisherman.", you grinned. "I don't do relationships."

"Yeah, well, I wouldn't do them either if I'd be you."

"The fuck is that supposed to mean?"

"Just bloody play along, will ya?"

Sighing, you rolled your eyes.

"Fine...", you crossed both arms in front of your chest. "But I get to decide where we go for sightseeing."

A low growl got stuck in his throat. But he didn't fight it.

Instead, he decided to roll with it and just nodded.

"Anything but a boat ride.", Price demanded. "Had enough of those already."

"Deal. Honey..."

As the pet name left your lips a slight shiver crawled through Price's body.

He shook it off.

"Anyways...", he cleared his throat. "Did you find something you want to do?"

He glanced at the telescope to give you a hint.

You nodded.

"I did, actually.", you gifted him a sweet smile. "The bake shop down there. The owner seems nice."

"Nice?"

"Nice enough to wear an iron cross."

His gaze wandered to out the window to take a look for himself.

"That's not illegal.", he noted. "Tasteless, but not illegal."

"True. But this one has... an interesting colour palate."

Now he seemed to be confused, frowned and demanded the telescope back.

"Hm.", his eyes narrowed. "Red, white and black don't go well together."

"Especially not with an eagle on top."

"And two short lightnings. Bloody hell, how do they let him on the streets like that?"

You shrugged.

"Germans tend to be more tolerant these days.", you pulled a face. "Even towards the bad things."

A huff escaped him.

"Not that we are any different.", he slid his hand into his pocket to put a 10€ bill on the table.

You eyed the shimmering paper for a moment.

The EU did have some pretty money.

"We?", you asked, chewing on the inside of your cheek.

"Yes. We."

You looked up to lock eyes with him.

"You mean the British."

A gentle smile tugged at the corners of his mouth.

"Nah.", he got up and offered you a hand. "I mean we. Captain and Price."

Now you couldn't help but snort.

Without taking note of his polite gesture, you got up yourself and pushed past him towards the stairs.

"I don't know about you... But I'm not tolerante towards bad things. I avoid them."

With narrowed eyes he followed your movements.

"Yeah, well... you didn't avoid me and I didn't avoid you yesterday...", he hummed to himself.