Fifteen

"Terrific...", Price hummed as he leaned against the fence of the camp and crossed his arms.

As he did so, you noticed the muscles moving underneath the tight long sleeved shirt he was wearing. The bottom had slightly rolled upwards, revealing two massive forearms with thick veins running through the pale skin.

Pleased, you grinned while watching how his body reacted to every small movement of his.

He really was devilishly handsome, you had to give him that.

"Bunch of bullshit...", Garrick agreed.

You had totally forgotten that he and Alex were present as well. They were sitting in the shade, faces grim and heads lowered.

"You sure Laswell said that?", you asked Price again. "The guy could just lie to us."

Price hummed.

"Yeah, well, it doesn't sound like her.", he agreed. "But it doesn't sound like the colonel either. He's not bright enough for that."

"It sounds like the government.", Alex mentioned.

"Which one?", you asked with a sarcastic smirk.

He sighed.

"Mine. The USA."

Price curled his nose.

"Bet your arse it does."

You nodded, unable to agree or disagree.

"So, that means they did have a clue who the attackers are.", you thought out loud. "And they didn't fucking tell us."

Frowning, Garrick looked at you.

"Didn't tell you what?", he asked, almost angry.

You glanced at Price.

He took a deep breath in, narrowed his eyes. But he didn't disagree either.

A sigh made your chest tremble.

"The little intel we have is classified.", you said with your head tilted towards Gaz. "But I think we can agree that you two should know the important stuff, isn't it, beanie?"

Price nodded.

"Fine by me."

"Glad we're on the same page. Anyways, Laswell didn't inform us about anything, but she did imply that the terrorists aren't what you are used to."

Now it Alex who had to frown in confusion.

"Means?", he asked and looked back and forth between you and Price.

Price let out a deep hum and fixed his vest.

"Means we're fighting against our own.", he said. "Europeans. Americans. We're not sure yet, the colonel was supposed to give us intel."

"Did he?", Gaz asked.

You let out a snort.

"Fuck him.", you said.

It was enough of an answer to make both Alex and the sergeant groan.

"So what's the deal now?", Alex asked.

You shrugged, arms crossed.

"I...", you cut yourself off and locked eyes with Price. "We took a hostage."

"Great, so we can question her.", Garrick jumped up.

But you held him back with a gesture.

"No we can't."

A bit pissed now, he frowned.

"Okay... Why?"

"Because according to the colonel Laswell gave orders to turn the hostage over."

"To whom?"

"The States.", Price said, audibly and visibly annoyed by that decision. "They claim her as their citizen and demand to deal with the issue themselves. The CIA will take over."

You pulled a face.

"Unfortunately, they did not let Alex count as a CIA agent.", you added. "Which means he had no authority and doesn't count as a high ranked American who would have the right to question her."

Alex gaze turned grim.

Judging by the way his body talked, he was ashamed and angered about this decision. But he also knew he wasn't big enough of a deal to demand said authority. He would be lucky if he had the permission to keep working on this secret mission.

Garrick let out a long, exhausted groan.

"What about you, captain?", he suddenly asked and turned to you. "Don't you have execute authority?"

A snort escaped you.

"Not enough to fuck with the White House, sergeant.", you shook your head. "With the French, maybe. They are quite a pragmatical bunch. I could convince them to let me handle it internally. But the States have some kind of pride. They will insist to deal with their own issues and if it's only so that other countries don't realise the USA aren't all prim and proper either."

As you voiced your opinion about the situation, Alex pulled a face and his eyes turned even darker than they were already. But he didn't make an effort to argue against it.

He knew that the United States had issues, just like any other country. And if he knew one thing then it was that they hated other to be involved in state affairs.

"Anyways.", Price got back on his feet. "Captain."

"Eh?", you blinked.

"A word. And you two, get some rest. We're moving in a few hours again."

The other two looked at you for reassurance.

It was nice to see that they slowly started to adjust to the idea that you and Price were both captain and shared the same power within the military hierarchy. That also meant that they were starting to develop respect towards you.

And as much as you valued friendship, respect for one another was the fundamental power of good teamwork.

With a gesture of your head, you send them on their way.

"Get lost.", you smirked. "And make sure you get some rest. The Price is right. We can't use sleepwalking soldiers."

Huffing, both got up and gave you a pat to the shoulder before leaving. Thankfully, both of them were kind enough to spare the injured shoulder.

For a moment you waited until they vanished around a corner. Then you turned to him again.

"What's up?", you gifted him your broadest, most teasing grin. "Want to confess your undying love to me?"

Crunching his nose, he smiled. But it was a mocking smile, one that was more a threat than anything else.

It was a warning for you to not to fuck with him.

"I'll ignore that, eh?", he said in a calm voice and looked up to check if you were sitting in the range of the security cameras. "We should hand her over to calm the storm."

Displeased, you hummed.

"Didn't expected you to be so law loving.", it sounded like an insult.

He huffed.

"Let me finish."

"Oh, I always let my men finish, beanie."

He ignored that comment as well and just moved on.

"The CIA arrives in a few hours. That's enough time to make her talk, no?"

A satisfied grin appeared on your lips.

"Hm... That sounds sexy."