Twelve

A man fell right into the trench next to you. Blood splattered everywhere.

Just in time you managed to jump away and dodge the body to protect the C4. Your heart was beating wildly inside your chest.

With your head pulled in and bated breath you ran on while Price kept trying to keep your arse safe and running.

"Captain.", he called out for you over the radio. "This is fuckin' insane."

You laughed.

"It's not stupid if it works!", you noted and jumped out of the trench to stab someone with your combat knife.

Blood splattered all over your face as the blade cut through the man's neck and made him choke on his own blood and body liquids.

You dropped him, made a mess and created another cloud of dust that swallowed you. All that was left to see were dull shadows.

"I can't see.", Price noted, audibly irritated. "Captain, you copy?"

Your hand reached out to answer him.

But all of a sudden another attacker appeared. With a war scream and a raised knife the woman came chasing at you. Her free hand reached out.

Out of reflex, you stepped to the side and lost footing. You feel backwards, right back into the trench and landed on your back.

A suffocating pain pressed all the air out of your lungs. The C4 fell out of your hand and disappeared under all the dust.

Blinded, you tried to feel for it.

The woman jumped after you.

The blade missed your throat only by the width of a finger.

With bated breath you grabbed right into it, covering the sharp edges with your glove and pushed it to the side to tear it out of the enemy's hand.

With a clinging sound it slid over the ground until a rock made it stop.

"I'll kill you!", the woman hissed.

Surprised, you froze.

Her accent sounded awfully familiar. Very southern yet English.

"You're American...", you gasped.

Something inside her eyes moved. A shimmer appeared, showing how she realised she had ducked up.

Now, she was determined to get rid of you.

With all her force she threw herself against you to keep your back on the ground and reached with the other hand to grab another weapon.

Dust was in the air, so much that it covered a good chunk of the area, making it impossible to navigate.

Price wouldn't be able to see through this thick cloud.

That meant you were on your own now.

Garrick and Alex were still nowhere to be seen. Maybe they had walked into a trap or were surprised by more enemy forces.

She pulled out a hammer.

But you're reflexes were faster.

Without skipping a beat you pulled out a grenade and let your finger slide into the clip. Smiling, you raised it into her field of vision as a threat.

"Don't move, redneck!", you chuckled. "I'll pull it."

She froze.

"You wouldn't dare.", she said, truly believing her own words.

You couldn't help but laugh. Slowly, you pulled the pin, but only so much to make her shit her pants.

"Do you want to find out?", you asked.

While her eyes were glued to the grenade, she raised her hands into the air and retreated.

With a challenging gaze you ordered her to go further back.

Two more steps, that's all you needed her to go.

Just two more steps.

His eyes were trembling as she froze in motion.

Just one more step.

"Go!", you hissed with clenched teeth and pulled the clip out a little more.

It was risky to keep on pulling it just to threaten her. One wrong move and you'd be blow up as well.

But she didn't seem to be a total idiot.

Carefully, you reach to your chest to click the radio.

"Beanie, you copy?", you asked in such a low voice that you worried he wouldn't hear.

Luckily, Price was a solider of such quality that even you were glad he was part of the team.

The radio clicked.

"Copy.", he replied in the same low voice back.

"I'm sending a gift your way. Spare it."

"Hostage?"

"Preferably."

"Roger that. Bravo 6 out."

Your attention turned back to the enemy.

She pulled a face, at least that's what it looked like, and lowered her hands.

"You won't do it.", she said, so full of herself.

With your lips pressed into a thin line, you gifted her a warning look.

"Try me.", you said with a raised eyebrow.

For a moment she hesitated.

All of a sudden her shoulder flinched.

You noticed the small movement.

Her hand jumped to the back of her gear, pulling out a gun.

With your teeth clenched, you wanted to react. But there was still a grenade in your hand. Now it was nothing but a weak spot in your defence.

And the enemy wasn't an idiot. With a grim gaze she raised her gun to aim it at the grenade.

A shot rang out.

Your thoughts started racing.

There was no way to dodge that bullet. It would hit, one way or another.

But there was a possibility to safe yourself from getting blow up.

You had two options, either you moved and took the bullet yourself or you wouldn't move and it would cause an explosion that would kill both you and her.

You chose the first.

With your teeth clenched you pulled your arm back and lowered the grenade, out of the hit radius of the shot.

The bullet hit anyways.

A sharp pain chased through your shoulder. At first it was like a dull hit on the bone that made the entire shoulder tremble. Then it started burning like hellfire.

With tears burning in the corners of your eyes you dropped to your knees.

But you didn't have the time to rest.

Immediately, you reached for your handgun and pulled it out to put two bullets into her left leg.

Screaming, she sunk to the ground as well.

You fired another shot, this time placed into her hand so that she couldn't carry another weapon.

Without making another sound she dropped, passed out by the pain and shock of the injuries.

Your breath was heavy. Sweat dripped down your face.

"Fuck!", you cursed and clicked the radio. "Beanie... Secure the PE4... I'm done for."