Eleven

Tires squeaked. The sound of glass shattering filled the air.

A thick cloud of dust drowned the battlefield as the driver of the car was hit by the bullet. The vehicle turned to the side, tilted dangerously far and finally fell over to slide down the rest of the road.

With full force it slammed into the hideout where the attackers were waiting.

All at once, chaos raged.

"Fuck!", you hissed and grabbed your shoulder to rub it. "That did hurt a little."

Price took position.

"You broken?", he asked with a quick glance.

You gifted him a smug grin.

"Would you kiss it better?", you raised your gun to aim for one of the enemies and put a bullet straight to his knees. "Nah, just kidding. I'd prefer you messing me up more instead. If you know what I mean..."

You winked at him, turned on your heel and slid down the hill to join forces with the others.

He stood back to provide fire from above. That way the enemies had trouble figuring out from where he was shooting and why their forces started to drop like flies.

The fact that you were running head first into the battle made him angry. He was a man of tactics and orders while you seemed to present yourself as the direct opposite, hotheaded and jumping into action before thinking.

Sure, that made you quicker to respond than him.

But still, he didn't like the way you reacted to situations. And he liked your big mouth even less, it drained his patience, slowly but steadily.

His eyes jumped over the battlefield. Somehow, he found himself looking for you.

With bated breath you were running across the area, trying to join the unit at the gate of the camp.

One of them noticed and wanted to aim at you. But before his finger could pull the trigger a bullet came out of nowhere and shot the barrel of the rifle, causing it to fly out of his hands.

"Blue!", you shouted and dropped to seek cover. "Code blue! Blue!"

Baffled, the solider picked up his rifle again.

"Are you the reinforcement that Laswell promised?", he asked.

"Positiv. We're here to pick up a colonel."

He pulled his head in.

"As you may see we're currently under attack."

You huffed.

"Don't worry, we'll handle it.", you assured and peaked around a corner to send another row of bullets into the enemies direction. "You can retreat now. Secure the camp."

With narrowed eyes he did as you ordered, but stopped at the gate before pulling it shut.

"You won't be able to do it alone.", he shouted.

"Don't worry about me, boy! I've got some Brit up my sleeve."

He frowned, but didn't comment on it either and pulled the gate shut.

You clicked the radio.

"Sergeant, you copy?", you asked, head pulled in while shots made your ears ring.

You didn't want to admit it, but having Price with you was a huge advantage. His fire from above gave you the opportunity to call for Alex and Gaz while he kept the enemies away.

Maybe Laswell was right and he was a good pick for a partner.

"Captain!", Garrick's relived voice sounded. "Signal received. What's your status?"

"You back with Echo?"

"Echo 3-1 copies.", Alex confirmed.

"Good. You two must come from the other side of the area. The enemy's back isn't covered. Use the element of surprise. Price and I will keep them busy until you arrive."

"Roger that, captain!", Garrick said and left the channel again.

You clicked the radio again.

"Beanie, you heard?", you asked.

"Loud and clear.", Price confirmed. "Let's take em' out fast."

"On it."

Without hesitating you jumped out of cover and started heading towards the enemy lines. In that moment you didn't even care that people were starting to aim directly at you. You knew that there was a guardian angel watching over you.

Said guarding angel was sitting in the trees at the edge of the hill and swallowed a curse as he saw you running around like a headless chicken.

"Bloody hell.", Price growled and took down a man who tried to come running at you with a knife. "That idiot..."

A bullet chased past your eyes and hit another solider right into the neck.

With a low choking sound he dropped to the ground, threw a cloud of dust into the air and remained motionless.

You used that small moment to your advantage and jumped right into it to disappear for a few second. With a raised rifle you pushed past the enemy's lines and started shooting.

The first two front fighters dropped dead almost immediately. A third tried to secure the front by throwing a grenade.

But you were smarter than him.

With one quick jump you let yourself fall into one of the trenches that they had dug and covered your head.

A massive explosion shook the earth. It had so much strength that it was almost impossible to be from a normal grenade.

They had prepared something more powerful, probably highly deadly as well.

The shockwave made your knees go weak. As you tried to jump back on your feet again your legs gave in.

"Price!", you gasped over the radio. "Gain me some minutes."

"You broken, captain?", Price asked.

It was strange, but he sounded weirdly concerned. As if your request had put him in distress.

"I'm good. Just need a moment."

"Roger that."

"Where the hell are the sergeant and Echo?"

"The fuck do I know?", you had to pull your head in to not breath in a cloud of dust. "Air's getting thin down here, beanie."

"Yeah, well, you've ran into it like a prick."

"Not quite, my guy. Not quite.", with a grin on your face you popped your head back into the air and raised a hand with a shiny object in it. "Be my eyes."

Price hummed over the radio.

"Is that PE4?", he asked, audibly concerned.

"Yep. Now be a dear and tell me where their supplies are."