Nineteen

"Holy shit, captain!", Gaz gasped. "Is that true?"

"You're fucking with us.", Alex insisted.

Glancing at Price, you shook your head.

"Afraid not.", he said. "If my assumption is true we've got some radical fraction of almost every European country on our hands."

"But why would they work together?", Gaz continued to question. "What goal are they following?"

You shrugged.

"We don't know yet.", you said. "But I think beanie and I found a way that we can keep working on getting the answer."

Alex frowned.

"How so?"

"Yeah, well.", Price cleared his throat. "We need to hand all Americans we encounter over. They are a US problem. But if we encounter Europeans, we should be able to convince the EU that this isn't an American matter."

"We would be able to gain executive authority.", you added.

"Means?", the sergeant raised an eyebrow.

"Means we would be a European special task force. Not an international one anymore. As soon as they leave the continent though we'd loose authority."

"All we have to do is make sure they never cross continental borders ever again.", Price smiled his cheeky, lipless smile.

Alex pulled a face.

"That would exclude me either way.", he noted.

"I'm afraid so.", you agreed. "We won't be able to change anything about it. Also, as a US citizen, you'd need authority to kill the terrorists. If one of them turns out to be a US citizen as well you could get into trouble for treason."

"Then what about you guys? You wouldn't be allowed to kill them either."

"That's also correct.", Price said. "But there is a small loophole. We're Europeans."

"Officially.", you smirked. "Since we would only operate on the continent, international rights overrule the American. It basically means if the American terrorists attack us first, or plan anything that could threaten the peace, we, as the members of the European continent, would be allowed to treat them as hostile."

"And how do we want to prevent the States from blaming us for the deaths of their own?", Garrick asked.

Price took a short breath, turned to him and smirked in his usual, passive aggressive manner.

"Easy, sergeant.", he hummed. "We hand over the bodies after."

A soft chuckle escapes you. Slowly but surely, his blunt yet dry way of talking grew on you.

Teasing him while he'd respond in that kind of way, with this kind of tone, would certainly be fun.

"As long as we can prove that they had evil intentions that threatened the EU members and their laws, we should be on the safe side.", you chewed on your bottom lip to think before talking on. "All we need is one good intel and the entire mission would be justified."

All that Garrick could answer to that was a huff that made more than clear how shocked he was of the entire idea.

"Holy shit, captains...", he wiped his face with both hands. "That plan really takes the piss."

Nodding, you agreed.

"You're allowed to step out, sergeant. We won't force you."

"Fuck no. I'm in."

"Good to hear that.", Price gave him a pat on the shoulder.

But Alex squeezed his eyes shut.

The way he looked showed that he wasn't thrilled, but still wanted to be part of doing the right thing.

With lowered eyes you stepped up to him.

"You really want to shoot your own?", you asked, trying to kill the little fire that was starting to burn inside his eyes.

He wanted to do the right thing more than anything.

You once had been like this as well, stubborn and eager to make things right no matter how wrong they were.

It would only lead to disappointment, because this world was a lot more than just black and white.

There was no universal right choice to make. Anything would come with a good and a bad outcome.

All that mattered was to decide which risk was worth taking and which was not.

The successes came with fails and fails came with successes.

It was your job to decide which success would be big enough to accept the fails.

And if you knew one thing then that whatever success Alex would feel, whatever satisfaction this mission would bring him, he'd hate himself for the rest of his life because of the blood of his own people that would stick to his hands.

Not that you knew how that felt.

You've never had people. Sometimes, you didn't even have yourself.

A deep sigh escapes Alex. His head hung low, but his shoulders were tense.

He was struggling to make a decision.

"Fine...", you sighed and closed your eyes, arms crossed in front of your chest. "I'm usually not a bitch like that, but I guess there's no other choice. Beanie!"

Price turned his head.

The expression he gifted you was dark. He hated that you called him by that nickname in front of witnesses.

"Midge.", he replied.

Confused, you frowned.

"Come again?"

The corner of his mouth rose.

"Midge. I called you midge."

"Wa-? Why the fuck would you call me that?"

He shrugged, playing the reserved one.

"They are small, bloody annoying and always loud. Just like you."

"You forgot useless.", Garrick laughed and gave Price a bump to the shoulder.

But one deadly glance of yours was enough to make him shut his mouth and pull in his head.

Your eyes wandered back to Price.

"You're petty, you know that?", you asked, showing him your teeth.

Not impressed at all, he shrugged again.

"You wanted something from me.", he reminded you with a huff. "Ask now, before I change my mind."

A low sound of annoyance escaped your throat.

Nobody had ever dared to pick up on your little game.

And now he was trying to win it.

That meant war.

"Anyways...", you swallowed a nasty comment that was laying on your tongue and pointed at Alex. "Let's put him on the list."

Alex jumped from his seat.

"I'm not a terrorist!", he growled.

"Easy.", Price pushed him back onto his bum. "Not that list. But yes. Let's put him on the list, eh?"

Alex frowned.

"What list?!", he demanded to know.

"Interpol.", you smirked. "Sorry, but you won't be able to go on vacation in Europe any time soon."