Eight

"Sorry for bad news, but we have to go down, captain.", the pilot announced over the radio. "The camp is under fire."

Quickly, you exchanged a glance with Price to make sure you two were on the same page.

"Roger that.", you replied. "Get us as close as possible."

"Already on it. Camp's about six clicks out from here. You need to try it via foot."

"Understood. Get us down."

The helicopter started to loose height. The force of the rotor blades made the trees bend and shake.

Dust filled the air.

In the distance gunshots could be heard. People were shouting but it didn't sound like it was a full on war battle raging.

It was more of a conflict between two smaller groups.

The helicopter started to shake.

"We can't go further down, too many trees.", the pilot announced. "You need to jump."

You pulled the door open and threw a quick glance outside.

It wasn't dangerously far to the ground but one wrong step and an ankle or a leg could be broken.

Alex and Gaz were already getting ready for exit.

With a shake of your head you made them freeze.

"Too high.", you shouted. "Can we get lower?"

"Negative, captain.", the pilot said. "We might damage the blades if we go too low."

You groaned.

"Step aside.", Price suddenly said and pushed you out of the way.

With nimble fingers he put up a rope and gestured for Gaz to go first.

You pulled out your rifle.

"You go first, sergeant.", you said and looked through the lens on your gun. "I'll watch your back."

"Understood!", Garrick grabbed the rope and wrapped it around his leg for support.

But before he let himself fall he exchanged a glance with Price, who nodded.

"Nothing to argue about here.", he said, unmoved. "Alex, you go next."

Gaz dropped.

Alex got into position to follow. But surprisingly, he turned to you before doing so.

"Any orders, captain?", he asked.

You adjusted your headset.

"We're not sure who's the attacker yet.", you said. "Defend yourself and take out whoever is asking for it. If we are able to identify people, keep them alive. Hostages are better than corpses."

"Roger that.", he dropped out of sight as well.

Now you only and Price were left.

Expectantly, you looked at him, eyebrows raised.

He frowned in confusion.

You gestured with your head towards the rope.

"I'm going last.", he said in a rough, bossy kind of way. "I'm not asking."

For a moment you stared him down.

He wanted to go last to be able to keep up the image of the caring captain who went last to protect his team. It would have been better for you to go last, but arguing about something so minor in a situation like this was cowardly.

You were a moron sometimes, but never a coward.

With a deep sigh and a roll of your eyes you grabbed the rope and wrapped it around your hand.

Holding onto it you leaned out of the helicopter, feet still supported on the edge.

"You know, beanie, if you want to see me do the fireman you just could have asked nicely.", you winked at him. "I'm always glad to show off my form. Especially to some handsome."

With those words you dropped yourself.

The sound of friction filled the air. Mixed with the howling of the wind it made your ears tingle and the hairs in the back of your neck stand up straight.

Your feet hit the ground.

Immediately, you pulled out your rifle and got into guarding position so that Price could exit without danger as well.

Your eyes jumped over to the sergeant, who was already ahead. He was crouching at the edge of a hill and looked down into the valley through binoculars.

Alex guarded his back from the distance. He looked back to lock eyes with you and to check if the team was complete.

You gave him a sign that he was allowed to push forward and join Garrick.

If this situation was as bad as you expected it to be, it needed two teams of two in order to secure both open sides, east and west of the camp.

Since Gaz and Alex seemed to get along well enough you had to accept the bitter fact that Laswell was right. If Price lived up to her words then he would be a better diplomat than you. And even though you didn't want to admit it, this mission needed more talking than you were willing to do.

So you had to pick your poison and roll with Price as a partner. Even though his position of captain collided with your own sense of authority.

Behind you something heavy dropped from the sky.

Price let out a groan, shook the numb feeling of the impact out of his legs and joined your side.

"Gaz, you have a status for me?", you asked over the radio.

"Negative, captain.", Gaz replied. "It's hard to tell the situation."

"Do we have open battle?"

"No. The attackers seem to surround the camp but don't push forward."

Price let out a low sound.

"Looks like they try to trap them in.", he hummed and pulled out his own binoculars. "Sergeant, we're going to take the camp from both sides. Captain and I will take west. You and Alex go east. Try to keep your heads low."

Price got going.

It annoyed you that he ordered the crew around as if it was his own and only his.

But surprisingly, Alex didn't take his side.

"With all due respect, captain Price, but we've got another leader to take orders from.", he noted. "Captain, what's your order?"

He probably just wanted to be the peace maker, but while doing so lost some plus points with Price. It made him look like he was fighting on your side.

A soft huff escaped you.

"You're my favourite now, Alex. I appreciate the support. Hate to say it, but the Price is right.", you joked and turned to disappear between leaves and trees. "I agree with the plan. Try to get as close as possible. Hold fire. We'll see if we can get into the camp without killing."

"Shoot if you must.", Price insisted.

You hummed.

"Obviously."