𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘 𝐎𝐍𝐄

20 Years Ago

I STOOD BESIDE Reginald in a shabby elevator

I STOOD BESIDE Reginald in a shabby elevator. "Dad, where are you taking me?" I asked, innocently.

Reginald had woken me up late at night, saying that he had an important mission for me. Knowing him, he doesn't normally interact with his adopted children; unless it's for training or missions. So being my pure nine year old self, I felt special.

"Patience is a virtue, Number Eight." Reginald replied. "And do not call me that. I am not your father." He sternly stated.

"Sorry, Sir." I apologized, looking down at the floor, disheartened. The elevator suddenly stopped with a clunk. We had arrived at the bottom floor. Reginald opened the gate and the two of us exited the elevator. As I trailed beside my legal guardian, I began to examine this mysterious place.

I didn't know the mansion had a basement.

It was really creepy. The stone walls were musty as I spotted a few moths flying above. As we started to head towards the vault, I saw Pogo standing to the side of the metal door. I gaped at what was in front of me, the metal door standing tall and menacingly.

"Lately, you have been experiencing drowsiness and fatigue." Pogo spoke. "Correct?" I nodded in response. Since I have developed my powers, I've been training and using them all day, without a source to recharge.

"We've found the solution to your issue, Ms. Eight." Pogo began to open the metal door, I peered over his shoulder and saw a man, tied and gagged on a chair. His eyes swollen with tears, it seemed as though he had been crying for a while. Once he noticed the door open, he started to thrash around. I could hear his muffled cries for help.

I froze as my eyes widened in a mixture of horror and confusion. "How is this man supposed to help me?" I asked, my voice shaky. I was very uneasy as the overlapping of his cries rang in my ears. I averted my gaze to Reginald, not wanting to see the disturbing scene.

"In short, to recharge your powers you must obtain death to survive." Reginald began to explain, unfazed that he had captured and bound a man. "Your demon that you possess has the ability to drain the life out of a being, allowing you to grow stronger."

"But... I don't want to hurt him." I spoke softly, feeling pity for the misfortunate man.

"He's a wicked man, Number Eight. An embarrassment to mankind. He killed many others before in his life. He is the very essence of evil." Reginald insisted, distaste laced in his words.

I swallowed the lump in my throat, gathering the courage to look at the man. "But, won't I receive the same fate if I were to kill him?" I queried.

"Of course not! By doing so, you would rid the world of these sinful men." He claimed with a scoff. I was young and naïve, thinking that adults were always right. I exhaled sharply and entered the vault, slowly making my way towards the detained man. Pogo shut the door behind me, the loud thump caused me flinch.