16.

Severus crossed his arms under the black cloak that shielded him.

"Did she.. explain why she kept you from me?.." Severus asked. His tone was soft.. and he sounded.. pessimistic.

"She did.. It wasn't her fault. She showed me her memories. You see, my grandfather cursed her.." Ivory paused testing the waters.

Severus paid attention.

"If she tried to see me... She would have died. So, she kept everything a secret along with my family. My Aunt took me and raised me as her own.

There was a frown tugging on his lips.

"So.. why... are you here now?.." He questioned.

Ivory fiddled with her thumbs looking up at him.

"Once I turned twelve... The curse broke. And... I was finally able to meet her, in person at least."

"Hm.."

He remained silent for a moment. Which caused Ivory to worry.

"Please don't be upset... I just really.. wanted to meet you.." She muttered as he then flashed a hesitant smile at her.

"I am not upset Ivory. I am only concocting this.. situation. That is all.."

She stood accepting his smile as she rushed to embrace him. Her arms were bound around his waist while her face dug into his clothes. He smelled of oak and cider.

"Thank you.." There was liquid forming in her eyes. This was overwhelming for the young child. First, she met her mother. And now, she met her father. The tears trickled down her face as her arms tightened around him.

Severus remained still observing her every move. Yet, something compelled him to return the hug.

He pulled the child into a gradual embrace. It was still unbelievable.

He was a father.

After all this time?

The two stood there silently before she finally pulled away peering up at him.

"You know. your not all that bad.." She spoke with a weak smile forming on her lips.

"Oh? I'm not?..." He grumbled giving her head a soft rub.

"Not at all.."

There was nothing left to say afterward.

Severus escorted Ivory over to Anah's class as they managed to hold a decent conversation. Ivory mostly talked. When they entered the only thing the two noticed was Anah shuffling in place, nervously ranting to her sister.

"Hi, mum.." Ivory stated as she stepped away from her father going over to her aunt.

Severus' eyes never left Anah's.

"Hello, my sweet..." She spoke quietly turning her head away from Severus' stern gaze.

He waited silently. That meant he wanted to talk.

May stiffly turned towards Ivory who only returned the look.

"Let's leave the two, shall we?"

The young girl shook her head as they quickly left. "Have a place in mind?" The aunt asked as Ivory shook her head again.

"The library.."

May grinned.

"That'll do."

Once the door was shut behind them Anah turned her back against the man.