Chapter 5: Beautiful.

"No way" Scott replied shocked, "me too" he added enthusiastically,

"Really? What date?" Luna was shocked, Matt never mentioned he had another friend turning 30 at the same time as her. She was the youngest of her friends and they had all turned 30 already.

"Mines the 21st, yours?" Scott replied, equally as shocked as Luna, "No way mines the 20th" she now turned to Matt "I can't believe you didn't tell me you had a friend turning 30 the day after me" she asked her boyfriend, "you know how much I was freaking out about it" She chuckled while stroking his arm, a gesture that made Chris begin to clench his fists under the table.

"Sorry baby, I'll be honest it just slipped my mind"

Baby.

There was that word again. Chris never thought one word could piss him off so much. Watching Luna and Matt be all coupley was honestly his idea of hell.

"Well, I definitely think a joint party is on the cards"Scott replied "anyway, carry on telling us more about you" Please don't, Chris thought, he didn't know if he could just sit and listen to her talk about her self.

"Well, I was born in England, hence the accent" She giggled lightly, a sound that made both Chris's heart feel warm and his pants tighten. What the fuck is that about? "My parents moved us to Massachusetts when I was 14, I'm one of five siblings, I have 4 older brothers."

"Wow, I bet that was intimidating Matt?" Luke chuckled from the other end of the table, "I've actually only met 3 of them so far, but yeah it was" Matt chuckled as he took Luna's hand giving it a gentle squeeze.

"Yeah they can all be a little overprotective" she laughed before her face suddenly dropped, lips forming a frown, "even more so since my Dad passed," Chris looked up from his plate as he heard her speak. He could see tears forming in her eyes before she quickly wiped them away. All he wanted to do was hold her, just hold her and tell her everything would be okay.

"Oh god I'm so sorry" Scott spoke whilst placing his arm around her shoulder, giving her a squeeze. Everyone else around the table said how sorry they were, as Matt once again took Luna's hand in his, "Yeah I'm sorry that's awful" Luna lifted her eyes to look at Chris as he spoke, a small smile playing on his lips. "Thank you" she replied before quickly realising she'd been staring at him too long she changed the subject,

"Anyway, yeah there's a bit of an age difference between us all. My eldest brother Josh is 40, and then Tom who's 38, they both had their own jobs and lives when my parents moved us here so they both still live in England. Tom and his family came over for a visit a couple weeks ago ,that's when Matt met him and my two other brothers" She paused briefly to take a sip of her coffee, "Ed is 34 and Jake 32. We all still lived with my parents when my Dad got a job over here so we all moved together."

"So your brothers do all have biblical names" Chris found himself saying, he didn't even realise he had said it out loud until everyone turned to him. Luna was slightly in shock, she was surprised Chris had even remembered she'd said that, she thought he was barely listening to her. "Yeah, I told you I was the only eccentric name choice" Luna replied with a smile. A small smile also gracing Chris's lips as he looked at her. He was yet again blown away by how beautiful this woman actually was. But the smile he had quickly disappeared as he heard Matt's voice, once again reminding him this woman was off limits.

"When did you guys have this conversation?" Matt was curious, "when we first got there last night, when you had to take that phone call" Luna replied, smiling at her boyfriend, before her eyes landed back on Chris. "Yeah" Chris agreed before going back to pushing his food around his plate.

"Anyway, so what is it you do?" Joe asked. Chris was thankful someone steered the conversation away from him. He definitely didn't want it to come up that he had flirted with Matt's girlfriend before he'd gotten there. He was also pretty sure she had flirted with him too.

"I actually own a chain of coffee shops around Boston, they're actually called Luna's" She replied, taking a sip of her coffee, "so I'm usually there and we do a lot of fundraising work with a lot of local dog shelters, so I spend a lot of time helping out at those, I actually got my dog from one of them" Oh for fuck sake. Chris thought. Of course she was a fucking dog person, as if this couldn't get any fucking harder for him.

"No way, Chris rescued his dog from a shelter." Scott replied, proceeding to pull up a picture of Chris and Dodger on his phone to show Luna, "Oh wow he's gorgeous, what's his name?" She directed her question at Chris, "It's Dodger" he replied looking up at her slightly, desperately trying not to make eye contact. She picked up her own phone and turned it to show him the lock screen. It was a picture of Luna and she was crouched down with her arms wrapped around what appeared to be a golden retriever, both smiling up at the camera. He couldn't help but think how beautiful she looked, long brown hair pulled back in to a pony tail, her body hidden by grey sweats and a black hoodie, that beautiful smile on her face. "Beautiful" it just slipped out he couldn't stop it, "He's beautiful, your dog, what's his name?"He corrected himself quickly; luckily it appeared no one had noticed his slip up.

"His names Rex, he's a Golden Retriever. He was just a little puppy when I got him, the whole litter had just been abandoned at the side of the road. The moment I saw him I just knew he belonged with me. He's always had such long fluffy fur, when I first saw him the fur along his back was all stuck up almost like spikes, it made me think of Toy Story, of Rex and I just knew that was gonna be his name." Luna smiled fondly, remembering the moment she first saw Rex. He was the little runt of the litter he was so tiny, the people at the shelter were shocked he'd made it as long as he had, but he was a little fighter. He took to her immediately and he's been her best friend ever since.

Chris was now getting more frustrated, a dog lover and a Disney lover, how the fuck was this fair. A woman, who by all means was perfect for him, was dating his best friend. Someone up there really fucking hated him.

Everyone continued talking amongst themselves. Chris desperately trying to avoid looking at Luna. The blonde waitress came back over to check on them, "everything okay for you guys" again she addressed the table but was only looking at Chris. He knew she was quite obviously flirting with him but right now he welcomed it, he needed a distraction from her.

"Everything was perfect thank you sweetheart" he winked at her again, getting the same reaction as before. "Can I get you guys anything else?" she asked fluttering her eyelashes yet again, "just the cheque please doll" he smirked at her.

Luna watched as Chris continued to shamelessly flirt with the waitress before she left to go get the cheque. When she returned Chris handed her his card before anyone could protest she'd walked away. "You didn't have to do that man" Matt said to Chris, "I wanted to, it's great to have you guys here" Chris replied. All the guys thanked Chris, "Thank you Chris, that's really nice of you" Luna spoke, he just hummed and nodded at her not making eye contact before he got up to head over to the counter where the blonde was processing the payment. He continued to flirt with her while everyone else got up ready to leave. As Luna was hanging her handbag over her shoulder she saw the way the blonde was rubbing her hand along Chris's bicep while flipping her hair over her shoulder. She really had no shame. Luna watched as the blonde scribbled something down before giving it to Chris, he then made his way back over to the group, "Everyone ready to go?" he asked as everyone agreed and they headed out of the Diner.

Later when Chris had gotten back home, he looked down at the waitress's number scrawled on the bit of paper. He sighed as he screwed it up and threw it in the bin in his kitchen. He knew he wouldn't use it, not when she was still in his head.