Chapter 34: Downward spiral.

May had rolled around and with it the warm weather had returned. What hadn't changed though was Chris's downward spiral. He had come back a couple weeks ago from the press tour for the last Avengers film and if it was possible he had gotten worse.

Whilst he'd been away his friends had took it in turns to go out to see him wherever he was, Scott going the most, along with Matt and Tara. They were also all happy that it was an Avengers press tour because it meant Scarlett would be there and she had been a close friend of Chris's for years. Scott had hoped her influence would help him get back on track but sadly they had been wrong.

After the altercation with Luna he'd hit rock bottom. He was trying his hardest to hate her with every fibre of his being, but he failed every single time and that just made him even more determined. He continued to go out getting drunk and fucking any girl he could find. Anything he could do to forget about his harsh reality.

When he'd gotten home he'd walked in the house to a room full of his friends and family. They called it an 'intervention' but he just saw it as bullshit. He'd dismissed them all completely and just took himself back off to a bar to yet again drown his sorrows. They had no idea what else they could do, but Matt had one last idea that might work.

~~~~~

It was a Saturday afternoon and Luna was in the shop doing a stock check in the back when she was interrupted by her employee Emily,

"Hey Luna sorry to bother you but there's a guy at the counter asking to see you"

"Don't worry Em, I'll be right out" Luna smiled as Emily headed back out in to the shop. She stood up from the floor, brushing off her dirty knees before walking out to the front counter.

She froze when she rounded the corner and saw Matt standing there; he was the last person she ever expected to see.

"Matt" the surprise was evident in her voice as she stared wide eyed at him.

"Hey Luna, could we maybe talk?" He asked politely. She immediately nodded, lifting the counter top so he could come through to the back.

"We can talk in my office" she smiled as he followed her through. When she opened the door to let him in Rex came trotting over happily to greet them.

"Hey boy, look at you" Matt cooed as he bent down to pet the pup, it took a second but Rex recognised him and began relentlessly kissing his face. Matt laughed as he was attacked by Rex's tongue.

"Okay boy that's enough" Luna giggled as Rex listened to her and retreated back to his bed.

"Sooooo" Luna spoke as she awkwardly lent against her desk, still unsure as to why Matt was here.

"Look Luna I'm sorry to show up here, but I honestly didn't know what else to do" as she looked at her ex-boyfriend she noticed the intense look of worry on his face.

"What's going on Matt?"

"It's Chris; he's really not doing well Luna. Since you left he's been drinking a lot, going out till all hours of the morning and sleeping around. It's been getting worse ever since he saw you a few months ago. It's even affecting his work, Scott got a call from his publicist that he had show up to several interviews on this last press tour drunk."

Luna felt a pang in her chest at Matts' words. She had seen some of the interviews Chris had done for the new Avengers film, she just couldn't help herself. He had been laughing and smiling, but she knew him well enough to know that it was all fake, she could see it in his eyes, there was nothing but sorrow.

As she heard Matt confirm what she already thought, it felt like someone was twisting a knife deeper and deeper into her heart. She had expected he'd been sleeping around, but she never truly wanted to believe it. She still hadn't been able to even entertain the idea of someone new and here Chris was out fucking anyone he could get his hands on. She knew she had no right to be angry, but still she couldn't help it.

"I don't understand what Chris shagging every woman in Boston has to do with me Matt" she sighed as she walked around her desk, taking a seat behind it.

"Shagging?" Matt questioned as he sat in one of the seats opposite her.

"It means fucking" she laughed half-heartedly.

"Look I know after what he said to you, you probably don't want anything to do with him and I get that I do, you didn't deserve that, but he needs you Luna. I fully believe you are the only person that can save him now."

"That's the thing Matt, I do deserve it. After what I did I deserve every word he said and I deserve to suffer alone in my misery."

"Will you just fucking stop that Luna" Matt snapped as his voice rose slightly, "you are not a bad person Luna, good people do bad things sometimes okay? I've moved on I've let it go, I'm okay Luna, I'm not mad anymore. I actually met someone"

"You did?" Luna smiled widely at Matts' news, she was so incredibly happy for him.

"I did" he smiled brightly at the thought of her, "her name is Zoey, I met her at the end of last year, we actually just moved in together"

"Matt I'm so happy for you"

"It's funny because I finally understand what you meant, that feeling of not being able to stay away from another person, that unspoken thing just pulling you to them. That's how I feel about her. I realised a while ago that me and you were never meant to be Luna, but you and Chris, you are. So if the only thing holding you back is me, then don't let it, because I'm not going to dump Chris as a friend if you two get back together. You said you couldn't stand in the way of me and Chris being friends again, well I can't stand in the way of the love that you two share" Luna sighed deeply as she watched Matt stand up from his chair.

"It's his birthday in a few weeks, he's throwing himself a party" Matt reached in to his pocket pulling out a piece of card and placing it on the table in front of her. She glanced over at it and noticed it was a party invitation.

"All the details are on there, you should come" he nodded at her as he smiled softly before heading for the door.

"Matt?"

"Yeah?" he asked as he turned back to face her.

"I really am sorry"

"I know Luna and I forgive you" he smiled.

Luna felt a heavy weight lift off her chest as Matt spoke. She never realised just how much she needed to hear that from him.

"How do you even know he'll want me there?"

"Because I know Chris and I know that if anyone can break through this tough guy act he's putting on, it's you"

He smiled at her one last time before he left, closing the door behind him leaving Luna alone. She threw her head back against the head rest as she groaned loudly before talking out loud to herself.

"What the fuck do I do now?"

A/N: Please let me know what you guys think and continue to vote! I love hearing your opinions! Thank you so much for continuing to read my story!

A xx