Chapter 28: Sweet Pea.

Luna was woken by something wet on her face. Opening her eyes she saw Rex standing over her on the bed, before he continued attacking her with more kisses. "Okay buddy I get it, it's time to get up" She giggled as she stroked him before he laid down next to her curling his head up in the crook of her arm.

She looked over to her bedside table to check her alarm clock.

8:45am.

Groaning she threw her head back against the pillow. She had hoped today would never come. She had hoped and prayed that the world would end and she wouldn't have to deal with today.

Her birthday.

Fucking thirty years old and her life was a fucking mess. She wished her dad was still here, he would've known exactly what to say. Or he would've told the world's worst dad joke just to get her to smile. Every birthday she goes to visit him and as much as she does not want to leave the comfort of her house, she wouldn't miss it.

She actually hadn't left the house since the shit storm that was Saturday night. She had stayed tucked up in bed with Rex and had watched P.S I love you at least twelve times. The last few times she'd put it on Rex had taken himself off to the dog bed he usually never uses, even he was getting sick of her shit.

Luna pulled herself from the comfort of her sheets and headed towards the bathroom before she heard a loud bang come from downstairs. Rex's head shot up and his ears perked up at the sound. She quickly went to her closet and grabbed the cricket bat that had belonged to her father that she kept in there for emergencies, before carefully leaving her room. Heading down the stairs quietly she heard voices coming from the kitchen. She made her way through the living room before bursting through the door to the kitchen, bat at the ready.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY"

She almost had a heart attack as everyone in the room shouted at her. She looked around to see her brothers and all her friends stood around the kitchen. Several presents and balloons sat on the counter along with a huge spread of food. She stood there wide eyed, realising she was still in her pyjamas and bat in hand.

"Do you even play cricket?" Ed laughed as he took the bat from her hands, before embracing his sister in a hug. She accepted the hug, still shocked at what she'd found in her kitchen.

"I thought you were burglars" She rolled her eyes before Cece made her way over to greet her.

"So instead of calling for help, you decided to try and beat them all to death is that it?" Ed laughed as she hit him playfully on the arm.

"What is all this?" Luna now asked Cece who had wrapped her arms around her.

"It's you're birthday breakfast" She smiled as she guided Luna over to the kitchen table and they both took a seat, everyone else following them.

"You guys really didn't have to do this"

"Of course we did" Jake spoke as he hugged his sister before taking a seat next to her, "you deserve to have a good birthday Luna" He rubbed her back softly, reassuring her.

"Do I though?" Luna shook her head as she looked down at the table. "After everything I've done I think I deserve to spend my birthday in misery" she felt a hand grab hers from across the table.

"Luna, stop beating yourself up okay?" Cara spoke as she squeezed her hand, "have you heard from Chris?"

"No" she shook her head, "I know he's trying to give me space"

"Yeah let's hope he stays the fuck away" Ed huffed from over by the kitchen island.

"I know you're just being over protective Ed but honestly you have the wrong idea about Chris, he would never hurt me."

"Can't you see that he already has Luna? It wasn't you that caused all of this it was him. Mr Superstar saw something he wanted, screwed his best friend over to get it and he'll do the same thing when he's bored of you."

"Edward" Cece scolded, "shut the fuck up you are not helping" Cece now turned back to Luna, "ignore him, so what do you wanna do today?" she quickly changed the subject, not wanting a screaming match to break out.

"I just wanna hang out with you guys and then I wanna go and see Dad, nothing fancy" Luna shrugged as Charlotte placed some juice and a plate of food in front of her.

"Then that's what we'll do" Jake smiled at his sister before subtly throwing his brother a look over his shoulder so no one would notice. He knew Ed only cared about Luna, but sometimes he didn't know when to shut his mouth.

~~~~~

After spending the morning with her friends, who were trying desperately to distract her from the shit show that was her life. The afternoon rolled around and the Clarke siblings decided to go just the three of them to visit their Father. On the way they stopped by a flower shop before continuing on to the cemetery.

The three of them walked up to their Fathers grave, Luna instantly kneeling down to clear away the old flowers placed there by their mother the week previous. She then took the fresh flowers from Ed and placed them in front of the head stone. "Hey Dad" she whispered as she ran a hand across the cold stone.

Jake then passed Luna a card with her name on it. Ever since their Father passed on each of their birthdays the other siblings would pick out a card they think their dad would have chosen and sign it from him. This year their older brothers weren't able to be here but they had given their final approval on the card Ed and Jake chose.

Luna opened it carefully before pulling out the card. On the front was an array of typical Dad jokes, all ones that their father would have actually told. Luna laughed as she felt a tear fall, her fingers gently opening the card. Inside was a message written in Jakes handwriting but it was actually the same inscription their father had put in the last birthday card he'd given her.

Dear Sweet Pea,

Your mother actually let me write on the card this year; despite her saying I have the same handwriting as a toddler. I feel like I don't say often enough how proud I am of you pea. My darling Luna, you are the brightest star in the sky and I know you could rule this fucking world if you wanted too. Happiest of birthdays to you my favourite daughter.

All our love,

Mum and Dad xxx

P.S: Don't tell your mother I swore.

Her heart broke as she read over the nickname he used to call her, Sweet Pea. No one had called her that since he died. She was crying freely now, which was also mixed with laughter. She felt her brothers kneel either side of her, both of them wrapping her in a hug and holding her as she cried. She closed her eyes tightly, wishing her dad could hold her one last time, because she knows if she could hear him tell her it would all be okay, she'd believe him.

~~~~~

Chris had been staring at his phone all morning. He had no idea what to do. It was Luna's birthday and all he wanted to do was go to her and do all the things he'd planned for them today. It killed him knowing she was probably spending this day in utter misery.

He knew her friends had been to see her this morning as he'd spoken to Cece and he knew Scott planned on seeing her this evening and he desperately wanted to go with him, but he didn't want to push her.

He huffed out yet another sigh as he stared down at his phone, quickly deciding in his head he had to let her know that he was still here. Just a small simple gesture so she knew he hadn't given up. Taking his phone he typed out a message, pressing send before he could change his mind.

Happy birthday sugar, I love you.

~~~~~

A/N: Thank you so much for continuing to read, please vote and comment to let me know what you think!  We'll be coming to the end very soon!

A xx