Chapter 35: Terrified.

It was the week before Chris's birthday and Luna had decided she wasn't going to go. She was the reason he was in this situation in the first place, all she'd do was make it worse. Plus if their last interaction was anything to go off she was sure he did not want to see her, despite what Matt said.

She was washing dishes at Cece's house after they'd had dinner lost in her thoughts when someone cleared their throat behind her.

"You okay? You looked zoned out for a minute there?" Cece asked as she came to stand beside her friend and started to dry what Luna had just washed.

"Yeah I'm good, just a few things on my mind" Luna quickly dismissed her, really not needing a lecture from Cece about her decision not to go and see Chris.

"Oh what like how Matt gave you and Chris his blessing and asked you to help but you've clearly decided you're not going to?"

Luna stared back at Cece wide eyed; she hadn't told her about Matt coming to see her because she knew Cece would try to convince her to go.

"How did you...?"

"Matt called me, he knew you'd get all in your head about seeing Chris so he asked me to get you to stop being so fucking stupid"

Luna's mouth hung open unable to think of anything to say. Cece leaned up against the counter beside her as she continued to talk.

"So we're going to talk about this and you're going to tell me the real reason you keep sabotaging your own happiness."

"I told you before, I'm not good for him okay? I mean look at what I've done to him already, he's better off away from me and that's that."

"The real reason Luna?"

"That is the real reason Cece, just get off my back okay?" Luna huffed as she threw the rag in her hand in the sink before stomping out of the kitchen, Cece hot on her heels.

"Do you wanna know what I think?" Cece spoke from behind Luna, who had moved in to the living room where Mac was sat on the couch watching football, now confused as to why the two women were arguing.

"Not really" Luna snapped back as she grabbed her handbag and phone from the coffee table. She then attempted to leave but Cece stood in her way with her hands on her hips.

"I think you're scared Luna" Luna froze as she stood there, no choice but to listen to Cece continue, "I think you spent eight years being walked all over by Aaron, eight years believing you weren't good enough, eight years at his beck and call just for him to dump you every time he got bored. I think you're terrified to let someone truly love you because Aaron made you believe that you were the problem and that you didn't deserve any more than the shitty mediocre love he gave you."

Luna felt a tear slip down her cheek as Cece dug out the real reason she couldn't let herself be happy. She had met Aaron when she was 19. He was a few years older and he treated her like a princess, but that soon changed over the time they spent together. He had broken her down from a once confident and strong young woman, to a weak shell of her former self who depended on him for everything. He made her believe she couldn't survive without him. He'd disappear for months and every time she felt like she had moved on, she'd get screwed over by some other arsehole and every time Aaron would be there like a knight in shining armour to pick up the pieces and pull her right back in to his twisted web. She finally managed to free herself from him a few years back when she almost made the terrible mistake of moving to Australia with him, but the week before they were due to leave she found him fucking some other girl in their shared apartment.

"I think you're terrified of not only not being good enough for Chris, but also that he'll do to you exactly what Aaron did, so you took the easy way out and you ended it before it had even begun. I understand you're only trying to protect yourself Luna, but Chris is not Aaron." Cece took a step closer to her best friend before wrapping her arms around Luna as she started to sob. Cece led them over to the couch as Mac got up to grab Luna some tissues.

"I did everything I thought was right and it was still never enough for him" Luna squeaked out between whimpers as Cece kept her close.

"Because he was an asshole Luna, he didn't deserve you not the other way around. But Chris he loves you Luna, anybody can see that and you love him. I've never seen you look at someone like that, except on a few occasions maybe me"

Luna laughed lightly as she pulled her head from Cece's shoulder. Mac no re-entered the room and handed Luna a box of tissues. "I've never looked at you the way I look at Chris" Luna chuckled as she wiped away her tears.

"A few times" Cece smirked as she nudged Luna's shoulder with her own. "Listen, I know you're scared babe, but there is no way I will let you try to throw away the best thing that has ever happened to you because of fucking Aaron, who by the way is the definition of human scum. You should listen to me because I always knew there was something off about him, I never liked him."

"Yeah he wasn't your biggest fan either" Luna chuckled as she thought back to what Aaron had said about Cece after they broke up. That had been the last straw for Luna that kept her away from him, she wouldn't let anyone say a bad word about Cece.

"You did kick him in the dick" Mac laughed from beside them.

"Yeah he fucking deserved it and I'd do it again" Cece smirked at her husband who just winked back at her. Mac knew Cece was a firecracker; it's what attracted him to her in the first place. She was strong, confident and fiercely loyal when it came to her friends and family, especially with Luna. Since the day they met the pair had become instant friends, Luna had always wanted a sister and then she got the best one she could've asked for.

"I think Matt's right Luna, I think you're the only one that can save Chris. I'm not saying it's going to be easy and you're going to have to do everything you can to make him believe you aren't going to run away again. You think you can do that?"

Luna took a moment to think. She was tired of still after all this time letting Aaron have any sort of control over her life. The love she felt for Chris was bigger than him and she was done running, she was going to fight for what she wanted.

"Yeah I do, I really love him Cece, even after all this time apart I can't shake him."

"Then let's go get him" Cece smiled as she embraced her friend in another hug. "Don't worry me and Mac will go with you, that way I'll be there if it goes south"

It made Luna feel so much better about the situation knowing she'd have Cece by her side. She'd always been the stronger of the two and Luna knew if Cece had her back she was always going to be okay.

"Yeah and I'll be there to drag my lovely wife away if she starts another bar brawl" Mac rolled his eyes sarcastically as Cece reached over and hit him round the side of the head. Luna smiled widely as she watched her friends. For the first time since this whole thing with Chris happened she actually felt hopeful that maybe this could all work out. 

~~~~~

A/N: please vote and comment and let me know what you think! Also I will be posting another chapter tonight because I know you're all waiting to see what happens at the party!!

A xx