Chapter 25: Second best.

Matt was half way through a game of beer pong when he realised Luna was no longer in the garden. He thought this could be a great time to try catch her alone. The main reason he'd come tonight was because she had text him to check the party was still okay with him and to see if he'd be there. He was holding out hope that there was even just the slightest chance that she might want to give them another chance and if there was then he was gonna take it.

He quickly wrapped up the game before heading inside the house. He found the kitchen empty but he could see the light on in the pantry and as he got closer he could hear voices coming from down the stairs.

As he quietly made his way down the stairs he could now work out what the voices were saying.

"But I promise things will get better, we'll tell Matt and yeah he might not take it well but I promise you I will be here with you every step of the way"

Chris.

But who on earth was he talking to?

"I know it is, because I've got you"

Instantly he recognised her voice.

Luna.

Matt could feel his heart in his throat as he reached the bottom of the stairs, there was no way this was what he thought it was, there must be a perfectly good explanation for whatever was going on.

Unfortunately as Matt reached the last step he quickly realised his worst nightmare had come true.

"Just you and me baby"

Then he watched as his best friend in the entire world kissed the girl who he thought was the love of his life. Right at that moment was when he felt his heart shatter.

This was really happening.

He just stood there, unable to move or tear his eyes away from the sight in front of him. He felt as his whole body became cold and he felt like all of the joy inside him was ripped right out of him. He was hurt, gutted and devastated, but the emotion he felt rising up through him the fastest?

Anger.

"Oh you've got to be fucking shitting me?!?"

Chris and Luna quickly pulled apart from each other at the sound of Matt's voice. Their eyes going straight to where he was stood by the bottom of the stairs, fists clenched and his face red with anger.

The pair scrambled to their feet, desperately trying to put a little distance between them both. Neither of them had any clue what to do next so they just stood there staring straight at Matt trying to comprehend what was happening.

"Are either of you gonna fucking say anything?!?" Matt bellowed as he took a step further in to the room, waiting for one of them to say something.

Luna's head was a mess, she had no idea what to say, she couldn't even form a functional sentence. How the hell could they have been so careless, being caught out in the pantry? How fucking typical.

Just as she found the strength to open her mouth, Matt spoke again.

"You know what, save it, I don't wanna fucking hear your excuses."

Before anyone could react Matt had already made his way back up the stairs, Luna quickly following after him with Chris close behind her. They both shouted out for Matt to stop as he made his way back through the house and out to the back garden.

"Matt please stop, just let me explain" she shouted after him as he reached the table where his keys and phone were, quickly shoving them in his pocket.