Trial

Vidar

Walking through the plains of England, Vidar looked at the vast fields of green with fertile soil. They were able to capture a soldier and forced him to lead the warband to the town. "How far to Hexham?" Ragnar asks the man.

"It's not far." The man says shakily.

Vidar grabs him by the hair and puts a knife to his throat. "Are you sure?"

"Yes!"

Ragnar nods to Vidar and nods his head. The God huffs and pushes the man forward. They make it over the jill and see the village. A large village with a wooden wall with access to a river. Vidar smiles at the sight of water nearby. "Try not to steal another child this time, Vidar." Ragnar jokes.

Vidar rolls his eyes. He knows he is joking but Vidar is a little worried he will actually take another child in. He already called Thyri Jareth one day so bringing more kids in would get more confusing.

They walked down the hill and into a neighboring wooded area. They stopped at a small clearing where they could hear faint voices on the other side of the wall. "Let's attack straight away." Rollo says.

"Tomorrow is Sunday, right Ragnar?" Vidar asks.

"That's right."

Vidar chuckles and sits down. "We will attack tomorrow."

"Why wait?" Rollo asks, annoyed.

"It is a large town." Ragnar explains while leaning against a tree. "We have only a few men."

"We have Vidar." Rollo says pointing to the man who was holding a butterfly up in the air and admiring it.

"Vidar says we attack tomorrow." Vidar says.

"Surprise is our biggest advantage." Rollo says. "Adding to Vidar's power-"

"Tomorrow is Sunday, brother. We attack tomorrow." Ragnar says one last time.

...

The next day Vidar sharpened his trident next to Lagertha. "Why didn't you tell me? We've known each other for years."

"I didn't want to scare you away." Vidar tells her. "Ragnar is like a brother to me. I see your children as mine as well. I was afraid that if you knew what I am you wouldn't want me around them for their own safety."

"You are a God." Lagertha says like he must have forgotten. "You could have stayed no matter what I said."

Vidar looks up to her and looks into her eyes. "If you wanted me to leave I would. The last thing I want is for you or your children to fear me. You are my family."

Lagertha stares at him for a moment. "What am I?"

"What?"

"Ragnar is your brother. Bjorn and Gyda are your children. What am I?"

Vidar stands up straight and looks down at her. "I don't know yet. But I know it's a good thing."

Lagertha was about to say something when they heard bells ring in the distance. Vidar turns to Ragnar, and they smile at each other. "Well, what are you waiting for?" Ragnar asks the men. He walks forward and leads them towards the town.

The walls are about fifteen feet high. Rollo and One Eye were about to throw their makeshift grapples over it, but Ragnar stops them then turns to Vidar. The God huffs and hands him his trident and walks away from the wall. He then turns and sprints towards it. He makes it most of the way up when he climbs it like a cat until he makes it to the top. He rolls over the wall and allows himself to fall to the ground.