Breaking Point

Vidar

It turns out Vidar didn't need to do anything to the other Earls. They were planning another attack at night, not during the full moon. They were to attack the south, as Vidar and Ragnar's men were to attack from the north. But they weren't going to.

They sat on the hill and did nothing as they heard the battle cries through the night. It didn't matter how many times they sent up the signal, they were going to die. And if somehow, they did manage to break into the city successfully, Vidar and Ragnar would kill them all and take what they have plundered.

Someone groaning behind him broke Vidar out of his thoughts. He turned and saw Ragnar pissing on a tree, but what came out was blood. "It's not kind to watch someone piss." Ragnar says without turning to him.

"It's also annoying to hear you groan." Vidar replies. "Were you wounded?"

"It does not matter." Ragnar says while tying his pants back together.

Vidar just scoffs and turns away. He walks over to Sif and Bjorn who were sitting on the cliff and looking up at the stars. "It looks like a goat." Sif says. "See, those are the horns."

He can see his son squinting up at the sky with a confused expression. "It just looks like specks."

Sif scoffed and then pointed to another set of stars. "What about that one?"

Bjorn turned his head and his eyes widened. "Mother would kill me if I told you what that was."

Vidar snickered and turned to his wife who was also watching their children. He silently walks over and sits next to her. He wrapped an arm around her and kissed her cheek. "What are you thinking?"

Lagertha turns to him and smiles sadly. "What happens after I die." She states as if she didn't just cause her husband's heart to stop.

"Why are you thinking about that?" Vidar asks. "It won't happen for a long time."

Lagertha pulls herself closer to her husband and laid her head on his shoulder. "You said before that the children we have will live forever. They won't age or get sick, but Bjorn will. As will Gyda and Jareth. Thyri has a daughter, and she will watch Nora grow old and die. Was it selfish of us to bring our children into this life? To allow them to grow closer to mortals when they will watch them die."

Vidar sighed and looked up at the goat Sif pointed out among the stars. "I told you of my mother, right?" Lagertha nodded. "She was cruel and would torture me for days so I would get used to pain. But I never told you that I had a family. A wife and child." Lagertha turned to him but stayed silent. "It was so long ago that I can no longer remember their names or faces. The times we spent together or what it was like to hold them in my arms. I would have been around Bjorns age when my child was born. My mother killed them to test how I delt with loss. I may not remember them, but I remember what it was like to not have them around. Even though they were taken from me, I wouldn't go back and stop myself from meeting my wife.

"Because even though it hurts that I lost them. I would have been worse off if I didn't have them in my life at all." Vidar turned back to his children, Sif was falling asleep, and Bjorn wrapped a blanket around her and let her use his shoulder as a pillow. "And I know that if our children didn't know their mortal siblings, or if Thyri never had Nora, they would always feel an emptiness that would haunt them."

Skadi

The great hall in Kattegat was crowded with people. Skadi sat in between Jareth and Gyda as they held the little ones, Jareth held Juni while Gyda held her son Torstein. Thyri was also there holding her daughter, Nora with Hakon and Valarie sitting next to her. Finally, Arkyn sat near the behind Skadi on the table, using the albino's head as a head rest and Erik did the same to Hakon. "What's happened?" Skadi asked Jareth.