1 After a damn long day

Adam POV

I sighed deeply as I plopped down on the bar stool and waited for the bartender to come to me to ask for my order. It had been a damn long day. And although I didn't usually go to bars to fight my sorrows with alcohol, I had come here very purposefully. I didn't know why, but I had a feeling that it was exactly what I needed today.

"What can I get you, buddy?" the elderly bartender asked me with a friendly smile.

The evening had just begun and so the man obviously still was in a good mood. Whether that would remain that way on a Saturday evening in a bar, however, I dared to doubt.

"A beer. Whatever is on tap," I said after a moment's hesitation.

The guy nodded simply and tapped the beer I ordered for me. It didn't take him long to put it in front of me. I watched, lost in thought, as the drops of condensation ran down the cold glass. I didn't even notice that someone sat down next to me. Only when the bartender addressed the person it brought me out of my bubble.

"Hey Addison! I haven't seen you around here in a while. How are you doing, girl?" the man asked exuberantly.

"Jim, hi! It's good to see you. I know it's been a while, but you know how it is. It's been a hell of a week and then I could use a drink." replied a woman nonchalantly.

Judging by her voice, it didn't sound like she'd had a bad week. But who knows. Maybe a bad week for her was what others would call relaxed. Or maybe she was just a cheerful person who didn't let the shit at work get her down.

"The usual?" the bartender named Jim wanted to know.

"Yes please." she replied politely.

A few minutes later he put a martini with extra olives in front of her. That was the moment I looked at her for the first time. She was a beautiful woman, there was no doubt about that. But she didn't really look like the type of woman who drank alone in bars. I assumed that she lived nearby and that it was therefore convenient to come here.

Just as I had these thoughts my phone began to ring. I looked at the contact ID and groaned softly before rejecting the call. At the moment I was not in the mood to argue further. I was, after all, here to forget about it all.

"Are you okay? You look like you've had an even worse week than I did." I heard the woman next to me say.

I looked at her questioningly. Obviously she meant me, because no one else was around.

"Not the week, but this day for sure. That's why I'm here. I just needed to get out," I replied without giving it much thought.

"I often feel that way, too. The only question is whether it helps. I'm Addison, by the way." she said, holding her hand out to me.

"Adam. Well Addison, I had a fight with my girlfriend and I left before I could say anything I might have regretted. It's just been hard lately." I explained to her without knowing why exactly I was telling this to a stranger, but somehow it felt good.

"Well Adam. A relationship is work. The question is whether it's more work than enjoyment. If it feels like work, then something is wrong. Is the relationship still working or do you just not want to admit that there are more problems than solutions? Do you call it a relationship because you still want it or because you're used to it?" she replied.

"You do have a point. That's definitely something I should think about," I agreed as I began to reflect.

--------------------

"Oh my god really? That is so cool! I didn't even know sites like this existed. I'm absolutely not a gamer." Addison laughed.

By now, several hours had passed. And we talked about everything possible. It was surprisingly easy for me to talk to her. The time flew by. I had almost forgotten how good it felt to just laugh and have fun. Somehow I felt lighter. As if a weight had been lifted from my shoulders that I didn't even know was there.

"Really? Not even as a kid?" I wanted to know.

"No. Well... I tried, but I was always so bad that my friends and my cousins wouldn't let me play anymore. But that was okay with me... I was really fucking bad. I couldn't hold it against them. I managed to kill myself so many times that it was hard to watch. But I'm an excellent backseat gamer. Always ready to make stupid, unqualified comments," she replied, still laughing.

"At least that's something. Excuse me, please. I have to go to the bathroom. I'll be right back." I said with a grin as I carefully slid off the bar stool.

But when I came back she was gone. Had she perhaps gone to the bathroom as well? And why did it bother me so much that Addison had disappeared without a word? With a frown, I sat back down in my seat. That was really too bad. I only knew her first name. Not her last name or her number.

Never mind.... actually I should not be interested or even bothered, but still I was sad that she had just left without saying goodbye.

"Hey buddy! Addie got a call and had to go. But she asked me to give you this." the bartender suddenly said, pushing a napkin towards me.

It was a number and a message underneath.

Just in case you ever want to talk. xo Addison