20 Too late

Addison POV

"Good morning handsome! How are you?" I asked as I talked to Adam on the phone like I do every morning as I was on my way to the office.

"Hi my beautiful darling. I'm doing great. I can't wait to see you. Two weeks was definitely too long. How are you and the little know-it-all?" he replied.

"We're fine. Cori is spending the night at a friend's house tonight. That means we can have an undisturbed evening," I said with a smirk.

"That's what I like to hear. Will you come over to my place? Or should I come to yours?" he wanted to know.

"I think it would be nice if we spent some time at your place. Don't you think? Since Cori's not home, it's a good opportunity," I said.

"That's true. I'll prepare us something nice to eat." said Adam then.

"You? And cooking?" I asked with a laugh.

"Hey! I can cook.... besides that, I didn't say anything about cooking..." he replied.

"Whatever you say. Will you check in when you touch down?" I wanted to know as I paused outside the door to the office.

"Of course... as always. I'll see you later. Love you." he said.

"Love you too. See you then." I replied and ended the call and opened the door.

Francis, my assistant, was already waiting. That was surprising, because usually she always arrived in the office after me.

"Good morning, Addison. How are you? How was the visit at the lab?" she asked politely.

"Good morning, Francis. Very good, very good. Everything worked out. Did you finish the order for the raw materials? We need to get them as soon as possible so we can start production for the holiday season as soon as possible," I replied as I sat down at my desk and went through my messages.

"Um... no, not yet. I'm still waiting to hear back from the team." she said.

"Still? How many times have I told you to give them a little push? Usually, you're not one at a loss for words. Or is this just the case with your manicure appointments?" I wanted to know.

I was pretty mad at her, because it wasn't the first time she took a lot of time to do important things. 

"It's not my fault that no one listens to me and that our boss prefers to work from home instead of taking care of things herself." she replied snottily.

"Excuse me? I take care of everything else. And I have an assistant for those little things. Besides, I also have a lot of things to do that have nothing to do with work. But unlike you, I keep my personal life to myself. Now let's get to work. And if it's not too much to ask... send me the samples of the new lipstick, please," I said harshly and looked at her piercingly.

"Oh I know... After all, your private life is more important than anything else in the last few months. If you're not careful you'll be knocked up by your casual fling real quick." she grumbled probably hoping I wouldn't understand her.

"What was that? Not that it's any of your business, but my boyfriend and I have been together for 6 months. Hardly the definition of casual. And I also have a teenager I'm taking care of. That may have escaped your notice since you spend your days on Instagram and TikTok.

But don't worry about it. You will have much more time for it from now on, because you are fired. I am tired of your attitude and lack of action. You have received more than one warning. Pack your things and leave the building." I said when I had finally had enough.

"What? You can't just fire me!" she hissed.

"I can and I have. And don't forget you signed a confidentiality contract. One word of what happens at Blake Beauty or any other stories and I'll sue your ass into the ground," I replied in a hard voice.

Furious, she stormed out. I heard her ranting to herself as she packed her things and then slamming the door loudly. Normally I was a calm and very understanding boss, but this woman had cost me more nerves than all other aspects of my life combined. I didn't like doing it, but sometimes it was the only way. Especially when people criticized my personal life.

In addition, she had hit a nerve. I was already tense enough. I did not have to listen to such things. It was clear to me that I had delegated a lot lately. But I was the boss, damn it!

"What was going on here?" asked my business partner when she came into my office a short time later.

"Vanessa... hi... I fired Francis. It just wasn't working out anymore.", I explained to her.

"Good... about time if you ask me. I would have fired her after she sent the samples to the wrong lab. Not to mention the fact that she was often late." she replied.

"Yeah, you're right. It was inevitable. But.... speaking of being late..." I continued.

---------------------

Adam POV

I was in the process of setting the last little things on the coffee table when I heard a knock on the door. It was so faint that I would have easily overheard it if I had been in the bathroom.

Smiling, I went to answer the door. As always, Addie was right on time. I was so happy to finally hold her in my arms again. It really had been too long. But sometimes you just couldn't help it. With our respective jobs and Addie's business travels lately, it wasn't easy to find time for us. And then, of course, there was Corinne. It was very important that she didn't feel neglected.

"There you are. Hi beautiful!" I said as I opened the door and saw Addie.

God, only now did I realize how much I had truly missed her. It was like a hole was closing inside of me that I didn't even know was there. A part of me was simply missing when she wasn't there.

"Hi, handsome!" she breathed and the next moment she was already kissing me lovingly.

"What smells so good in here?" she asked after a few moments.

"You mean aside from you?" I wanted to know and immediately she nudged me in the side.

"I had seafood paella delivered for us from your favorite restaurant. We haven't been there in a while and I thought you probably missed it. Besides, you deserve a treat after the stress of the last few weeks." I explained to her as I took Addie's hand and pulled her towards the couch.

"Aww... that's so thoughtful of you! But we need to talk about something." she replied as we sat down.

"What's going on? Should I be worried?" i wanted to know.

"Well... I guess... I would say that... depends.... I'm pregnant." she said, pulling something out of her pocket and showing it to me.

It was a pregnancy test that clearly showed two pink lines.