28 Closer

Adam POV

As soon as I opened the front door, I heard loud giggling from the living room. I smiled, because there was nothing more beautiful for me than to hear the laughter of my family.

I followed the happy sounds and saw Addie and Cori sitting together on the floor in the living room surrounded by make up. While Addie was making funny faces, Cori was taking pictures of her big sister. 

Addie had pushed up her shirt, revealing her beautiful, big, round baby bump. As I got closer I saw that she had many swatches of eye shadow on her skin.

"Hi family. Are you guys having fun? You look like a makeup tiger." I laughed.

"Oh hi, Adam. We're taking photos for Instagram to tease the new eye shadow palette. We thought it was a cute idea. You know, because Addie is so freaking pregnant, but still looks amazing. She wanted to show off a little bit," Cori explained to me.

"She does. And she deserves to show off a little. Hi beautiful." I replied and then bent down to give my wife a kiss.

"Hi. How was the workout?" asked Addie as she reached out and wiped my lips, probably because she had left traces of her makeup on me. Not that it bothered me much.

"It was fine. Then I went shopping, because I know you guys must be craving ice cream. And then I bought something for Lou Lou Wiggler," I said and handed her the bag before I quickly went into the kitchen to put the ice cream in the freezer.

"Again? This is now the fifth caterpillar you've bought. You're spoiling Wiggler before she's even born." Addie laughed at the stuffed animal she pulled out of the bag.

"I couldn't resist. She's my little Wiggler. The name obliges. What's one stuffed animal more or less. Besides, she'll be here soon." I replied with a shrug.

"Maybe sooner than you think. I've been having mild contractions on and off for the last 2 hours." she said completely unexpectedly.

"What? Why didn't you call?" I asked, shocked.

"Because my midwife said it might take a while and I should only come to the hospital if the intervals are around 7 minutes or my water breaks. After all, it's possible that it's just Braxton-Hicks-contractions again. You had a great day with your boys and I didn't want to take you away from it. Unless it's really 100% going to start. I'm fine and there's no reason to get all worked up. You'll have your daughter in your arms soon enough, Mr. Cole. Relax," Addie replied as she reached for my hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

"Are you sure you're okay?" I wanted to know as I knelt down next to her and gently placed my hand on her baby bump.

"Of course I'm sure. I wouldn't do anything to harm myself or the baby, Adam." she assured me.

"Just wanted to make sure," I replied.

"I know. Now please help me up. I don't think I can do this alone," Addie said.

"Thanks, baby... Well, I think I heard the words ice cream earlier?" she spoke after I helped her stand up.

I laughed. She was obviously in a good mood and not a bit tense or nervous about the upcoming birth of our daughter. I tried to follow her example to stay calm as well. But something told me that this would not last long when it really started.