17 Scared

Addison POV

Now it had been almost 3 days. 3 days and the police still hadn't found Corinne. 3 days in which I became almost crazy with worry what our lunatic mother was doing with her or where she had taken her.

If only I had known that Cori had talked to her on the phone again and again and that they also wrote each other messages. Then I could have protected her better, but now it was too late. I had only found out because the police had analyzed Cori's phone data. But unfortunately the messages didn't give us any clues where Mom had come from or where she might have gone.

And she must have planned it for several weeks. How else was it possible that she avoided all toll roads so that no one could follow her tracks. She knew she had to get rid of Corinne's phone as soon as possible. And the phone with which she had contact with Cori was switched off. When I thought about how disturbed this woman was, it sent shivers down my spine. I mean, I always knew she was a danger to herself. But never in my life had I thought it possible that she would put Corinne in danger! 

"This is all my fault! Why haven't they found her yet?" I cried on Adam's shoulder as he held me tightly in his arms.

He knew that there was nothing he could say that would make me feel better. That's why he just held me and stroked my head and back. Still he tried to calm me down, even if it didn't help much. I was just glad that he was there for me.

"Shh... shh... shh... Don't think like that... they will find her. She's a smart girl and nothing will happen to her. You couldn't have known." he whispered.

"I'm scared." I sniffled as I buried my face against his chest.

"Me too." he whispered back.

And like that, countless hours passed again until it was suddenly the middle of the night. I was dozing off and practically jumping when suddenly my phone started ringing.

"Hello?" I asked after putting the phone on speaker.

"Miss Blake? We have your sister!" said the voice of the police officer I had been talking to over and over again.

"Oh thank God! How is she? Where is she?" I immediately wanted to know as I jumped up from the sofa.

"The local police found her in Charleston, North Carolina. Apparently she was there with her mother in a motel when she managed to escape and find someone who called the police. She is doing well. They are on their way to bring her home. If you want you can meet us at the break location in Jacksonville," he told me.

"Yes! Yes... we're on our way. Can I talk to her?" I wanted to know as I took Adam by the hand and dragged him out of the house.

"She's already on her way with my colleagues and as far as I'm informed, she fell asleep quickly. I will let them know where to meet you. After that, I'll send you a message." I replied.

I thanked him and turned to Adam. In relief, I threw my arms around his neck as the dam broke once more. But this time it was different tears. My little girl was doing well. And I had not asked, but I hoped that our mother would be punished for it.

When I had calmed down again after a few minutes, we sat down in the car and went on our way.

-------------------------

"Addie!" shouted Corinne as soon as she jumped out of the police car and saw me and Adam waiting for her.

She ran towards us and I hugged her tightly. Cori was shaking and sobbing as she clung to me. My poor little thing. I couldn't imagine how upsetting and traumatizing this all must have been for her.

"Are you okay, sweetheart? Did she do something to you?" I wanted to know when I briefly detached myself from her so that I could take a good look at her.

"No... I am so stupid.... I really thought she had changed. I had missed her so much...and when we talked on the phone... she was so normal. I'm sorry Addie..." she wailed and sobbed.

"It's going to be okay, Cori. Don't worry about anything. We're going to take you home. And she will never come near you again." I promised her.

I led her to the car while Adam talked to the police officers in charge and thanked them. Meanwhile, I sat down in the back seat with my sister and held her in my arms. Glad to have her back with me.

Adam got behind the wheel and drove off. His relief was clear to see as well. He had tried not to let it show because he wanted to be strong for me, but the whole thing was also tugging at his nerves. I wasn't sure I could have gotten through it alone.

"I was so scared. I've never seen mom like that. I'm such an idiot. I was so happy when she picked me up.... because I missed her so much. I can't believe she actually thought you let her do that. She didn't let me out of her sight for a second. She said she wanted me to come home again...  that she had changed.... 

But when I said I was happy to be with you, she got so mad. Then she started drinking... She wanted me to try too, but I kept saying no. She didn't like that... At some point she passed out. I snuck out and ran to the registration desk. The woman there then called the police," she told us quietly on the way home.

"You never have to see her again. And I'll always be there for you. And I never want to hear you call yourself an idiot again. You wanted your mom. It's not your fault she's not a good mom," I said, hoping she would calm down.

Corinne was completely exhausted. And I hoped and begged that this would not haunt her forever. She was still so young. I would do anything for my little sister. She was so damn important to me.

"You're a much better mom, Addie. You're already much more of a mom than a sister to me. And I love you for it." she said softly.

"I love you too sweetheart. Try to get some sleep. I'm here." I said and gave her a kiss on the forehead as she clung to me.

"Wait... what day is it?" she suddenly wanted to know.

"Meanwhile, it's Monday... why?" I replied.

"Oh no! No, no, no..." she wailed.

"What is it?" I wanted to know.

"I messed up your Valentine's Day. And after all the plans I helped Adam with!" replied Cori, bursting into tears again.

"Kiddo.... you didn't mess up anything! It's just a ordinary day. And having you back safe and sound is the best Valentine's Day gift there is. Don't worry about us." said Adam from the front seat before I had a chance to say anything back.

"Adam's right. Family always comes first." I said, giving him a smile I knew he could see in the rearview mirror.

"In you guys I have the only and best family I need." Cori breathed just loud enough for both of us to hear.