7 Merry Christmas

Addison POV

"Cori! Come on. Are you ready? We're going to be late!" I shouted through the house as I made my way downstairs.

"I'm already here. You took forever this time. You look great!" she said as I came into the living room and to my astonishment she was already sitting on the sofa waiting for me.

I hadn't noticed that she had already gone downstairs. And to be honest, it was very unusual that she was ready before me. Normally Cori needed quite a while to get ready.

"Thank you. You look very good as well. Let's go then. I can't be late for my own Christmas party," I replied.

"I'm so excited that I get to come!" She squealed in the passenger seat as I drove us to the location of the party. 

I was equally excited because it was my first big party for friends and employees that I had put together all by myself. Now I hoped everyone would have a good time. They had earned it. Everyone had worked hard all year and this was my way of saying thank you to them. It also gave me the opportunity to see my friends. Unfortunately, that was not always easy.

"I know you hardly talk about anything else. I just hope it doesn't get too boring for you." I laughed.

"It'll be fine. And Poppy will be there, too. If I get bored, I can talk to her." replied Cori.

"That's true. By the way, I'm glad you're getting along so well with her and she likes you a lot," I said.

Poppy was my trusty soul, who took care of the household and all the other things for which I often lacked the time. During this time she had become like a mother to me. She simply radiated an unbelievable warmth and calmness. For me she was an angel sent from heaven. And Cori quickly felt the same way. She also loved Poppy very much.

"Say... Did you invite Adam?" she wanted to know unexpectedly.

"No, why?" I replied.

"Because you liiiiike him that's why!" she laughed, putting extra emphasis on the word like.

"That's not true. Besides, he's flying to Pennsylvania today to visit his family," I said.

"You bet your butt it's true! He makes you nervous. And you're always texting or talking on the phone. Otherwise you wouldn't know it's out of town." said Cori.

"Even if it was, it's none of your business, you little pipsqueak," I muttered.

"That means I'm right!" she then said.

But I decided to say nothing more about it. And Corinne didn't deepen the topic either, but typed away on her phone. That was a good thing. Because I was not ready to talk about it with a curious 15 year old.

-----------------

Everything was absolutely perfect and even more beautiful than I had imagined. The food, the decorations, the little gifts I had prepared for everyone.... And everyone was having fun, laughing and talking. For that, all the effort had really been worth it. Moments like these made me happy, but at the same time a little sad. But at least now I had Corinne to share it with.

I was talking to some friends when I glanced through the crowd to see how my sister was doing. But I did not find her. With a furrowed brow, I excused myself and went in search of her.

"Poppy? Have you seen Corinne?" I asked when I eventually found Poppy.

"She went to the ladies' room. Don't worry about it, Addie. She'll be right back." she replied.

"Okay, thanks. Are we still on for you to take her home later?" I wanted to know.

"Of course. Don't worry so much or you'll get wrinkles, sweetie." she said, rubbing my back reassuringly.

"You're the best." said I, giving her a quick hug.

"Addie?" I heard someone call out.

"Cori, there you are- Adam! Oh my goodness what are you doing here?" I asked as I turned around and saw that Corinne hadn't come back alone.

"My flight was canceled because the weather in Pennsylvania is pretty bad. That's why I probably won't be able to leave until tomorrow. When I was on my way back home, Cori texted me. She said you told me to come by. I hope that's okay." he replied, then gave me a hug.

"Did she? And how did you get his number?" I asked Cori, who grinned innocently at me.

"Stupid question. From your phone. If you'll excuse me. I have to go get something to eat. Have fun." she replied as if it was the most normal thing in the world.

"Yeah, you better go. Because right now, boarding school sounds really tempting." I said to her.

"I'm sorry, Addie. I'll leave if you want me to." said Adam then.

"No I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound like you weren't welcome. I'm happy to see you. I really am. Why don't we get you something to drink first?" I replied quickly and then hooked onto his arm.

------------

Adam POV

I was also really happy to have come here. So a seemingly wasteful evening had turned into something beautiful after all.

Addison looked so beautiful in that dark green, long-sleeved dress. She took my breath away. Everything about her was perfect, but especially her smile was stunning. The more we talked and texted, the more I realized I was in trouble. This woman was something special. I couldn't resist that, no matter how hard I tried.

When she held on to my arm like that and we hung out together in the room full of people, I kept feeling this tingling sensation. When she smiled at me while introducing me to her friends and colleagues, I felt my cheeks blush. It had been a long time since I had felt this way. Because even in my last relationship, that somehow got lost over time.

At some point we stood alone in front of the big window and looked at the lights of the city. Slowly it became quieter and the first guests made their way home. Cori had also already said goodbye. She seemed to be very proud of herself. 

As I let my gaze wander around the room I suddenly noticed where we were standing. I couldn't help but smile as I turned my eyes back to the beautiful woman in front of me.

"Addie?" I said to get her attention.

"Yes?" she replied softly as her gaze found mine.

Instead of answering, I simply looked up. Addison followed my gaze and saw the mistletoe hanging over our heads.

"Oh..." she breathed as her cheeks turned dark red and she shyly turned her eyes the other way.

Carefully I took a step towards her, then put my finger under her chin to turn her face towards me. At that moment, I could no longer resist. Slowly I leaned toward her. I half expected that she would pull away, but she did not. And so our lips met in a sweet, short kiss.

"Merry Christmas, Addie." I whispered afterwards, totally awestruck.

"Merry Christmas to you too, Adam." she replied softly, then wiped her lipstick from my lips.