23 Wiggler

Adam POV

I was awakened rather roughly by a twinge in my shoulder. Carefully I turned to the other side to pull Addie to me in the hope to fall asleep again. But my hand hit nothing but an already cold, empty sheet. Slowly I sat up, trying to ignore the pounding of my head. But that was easier said than done. The only good thing about being injured was that I could now spend a lot of time with my family.

Especially now in the first weeks and months of this pregnancy, I wanted to be with Addie as much as possible to support her. And specially today. Because today we had our first appointment to see our little darling. Maybe that was why Addison couldn't sleep. Or maybe she was feeling sick. She waited for it every day, but so far she hasn't had any morning sickness.

Groaning, I swung my legs out of bed and went in search of my beautiful fiancée. First I looked in the bathroom. Without success. So I kept walking through the house until I finally heard a noise coming from the room that Addie said would be my game room. What was she doing in there so early in the morning?

"Addie?" I asked quietly as I opened the open door a little further.

"Oh no!" she immediately began to wail when she heard my voice and dropped the roll of wrapping paper.

"What's wrong?" I wanted to know as I took her in my arms as she began to cry.

"I wanted to wrap your present. And now you've already seen it" she sniffled.

I assumed that this was the first sign of pregnancy. My poor baby.

"I didn't see anything. I was just wondering where you were. Why are you in here wrapping my present?" I promised her as I stroked her back reassuringly.

"Because it belongs in this room and I can't carry it. Happy birthday, Adam! I hope you like it!" she suddenly said happily as she looked at the big something she had more or less covered in wrapping paper.

"Thank you, beautiful! What have you done? That's huge!" I replied, not realizing until I paid attention to how big it actually was.

"Unwrap it!" she said, literally pushing me in that direction.

I tore the paper from my gift and could hardly believe my eyes. It was an old-school Nintendo arcade game machine.

"Holy shit..." I whispered.

"Do you like it?" she wanted to know.

"Is that even a question? Where on earth did you find that one? Donkey Kong Arcade from 1981, one of the first.... I can't believe you spent that much money. I'm... speechless. Thank you, Addie. You are amazing. I love you so much." I replied, touched.

"Oh that's nothing... I wanted something special. And I obviously succeeded. You're not often at a loss for words." said Addie as she put her arms around my middle.

That was true. I was really rarely without words, but this? That showed how well this woman, my future wife knew me.

With my index finger, I lifted her chin and looked deep into her eyes. Smiles formed on our faces as I leaned in to give her a kiss.

-----------------

"How are you feeling today? How's your head?" Addie wanted to know as we waited to be called up.

"I'm fine. Don't worry about me. You and little Wiggler are much more important right now. I want to make sure you're okay." I replied as I held her hand tightly in my lap.

"Wiggler? Wait... isn't that the caterpillar... from the Super Mario games?" she asked laughing.

"Yep! Sooner or later our little baby will wiggle around inside you and then become a butterfly," I explained to her.

"That's really cute." she replied.

"Miss Blake? Your turn." the nurse said before I had a chance to say anything back.

I listened attentively to the questions the doctor asked. But slowly but surely I became impatient. I wanted to see our baby. Because this was really the birthday present I was waiting for. And thank God it was finally time.

"And this, my friends, is your baby. Conception about 6 weeks ago. That means a calculated pregnancy week 8. Just like I explained earlier. And everything looks like it's supposed to do. Even though I know there is not much to see at the moment. It's about the size of a raspberry right now," the doctor explained.

All I could do was stare mesmerized at the monitor while holding Addison's hand tightly.

"This is amazing!" she whispered.

"It really is," I replied.

"Happy birthday, daddy. We love you." said Addie softly, then squeezed my hand.

"I love you guys, too. You and Wiggler." I replied, taking the chance to give her a sweet little kiss.