5 See you again

Adam POV

"Hi Addison. What a coincidence to meet you here." I said as I looked into her more than surprised face and handed her back the bag that had escaped.

"I guess you could say that. How are you?" she asked as I saw her cheeks turn red.

"Okay...I got everything. The sales people were looking at me really weird like I was up to something. Where's my cinnamon bun? Oooh! Who's that?" suddenly babbled a young girl who stood next to Addison until she noticed me.

"Cori, this is Adam. Adam, this is my little sister Corinne. I'm sorry... I... um... got distracted. Here, why don't you go get it yourself real quick?" replied Addie, pressing money into her sister's hand.

"Nice to meet you." I said with a soft chuckle.

"Hi Adam. Are you a friend of my sister? Addie! I just had a fantastic idea. You can ask him to accompany you to the award party. Then you finally have a date again." Corinne then said excitedly. Which caused Addison's face to become even darker than before.

"Cori, please be quiet. I'm begging you." muttered Addison then.

"But why? I was just-" she began.

"Excuse us for just a minute, Adam," Addie interrupted her sister, then took her by the arm to lead her a few steps away.

"Cori, you can't just say things like that. It's inappropriate. I barely know him. I can't go out with him. You're embarrassing me." I heard Addison say, even though she was trying hard to be quiet.

"Why not? He's so cute. I'm just trying to get your personal life on track a little bit." the younger girl replied.

"Adam has a girlfriend, Cori. So please let it go." said Addison then.

I cleared my throat to get their attention and make them realize that maybe their conversation wasn't as quiet as they thought. Addison raised her eyes and looked at me. She looked quite embarrassed. It looked like she was wishing for a hole to disappear into.

"Well... Actually, I don't have a girlfriend anymore. But that's a long story." I said to the two of them.

They came closer again. Addison looked at me a little guiltily.

"I'm sorry about that, Adam. I, well... I hope it had nothing to do with what I said." she said.

"God, no. I think it was inevitable. There were more things going on than I originally thought. Because of what you said, I was just asking myself the right questions. After all, you were right. We had more problems than I wanted to admit. But this is not the best place to talk about it.

I have a lot of things going through my head because I'm looking for a new apartment right now and that's not so easy so close to Christmas. At the moment I'm staying with friends, but they are expecting their first baby in January. That's why it's important to find a new place as soon as possible," I replied, until I realized that I was starting to babble myself.

"This may sound a bit unconventional, since we hardly know each other. But I have a loft in the downtown area that's empty at the moment. I moved into a house half a year ago so Cori and I have more space. So if you're interested I can rent it to you," Addison then said unexpectedly.

"Are you serious? That would be really great. I have to go now, but I'll call you later." I replied happily.

"You still have the number?" she asked, surprised.

"As a matter of fact, I do. Addie, it was nice to see you again. Corinne, it was nice to meet you," I replied.

"Bye Adam. See you later." said Addison softly.

"It was nice to meet you too, Adam." giggled Corinne and I knew that as soon as I was out of earshot, she would tease her big sister some more.