19 Sweet 16

Addison POV

I could hardly put into words how glad I was that Cori was back home and that nothing had happened to her. And I was more than grateful that she seemed to be doing well despite this event. I still kept a close eye on her. Fortunately it seemed to help her to talk about everything. I was sure that it would take some time until she had completely processed it, but today was a special day and I wanted to do my best to distract my little sister as much as possible.

Today was her 16th birthday. The day she was looking forward to for months was finally here. And she didn't have the slightest idea what I had planned.

"Poppy? They're here. I'll be right back. If Cori comes down, please distract her," I said to Poppy who was in the middle of making a special breakfast for the birthday girl.

I had received a message that Corinne's gift had been delivered. It was not as I had originally planned. Still, I couldn't wait to see her face.

"Thank you gentlemen. Have a nice day." I said to the guys who had brought the car and gave them a generous tip for their trouble.

I then got the big bow out of the garage and attached it to the hood. I smiled as I was pleased with the result and went back inside. Fortunately, Poppy was still alone in the kitchen. Our Sleeping Beauty obviously had no intention of waking up so soon. However, I was getting impatient. That's why I made my way upstairs to wake her up. 

Quietly, I sneaked into her room and lay down next to her in bed. There was hardly anything to see of Cori. Only a small piece of her head peeked out. Carefully I pulled the covers down a little so I could see her.

"Good morning birthday girl! Wake up sunshine!" I said.

"Let me sleep..." she mumbled anything but awake.

"Oh and I thought you couldn't wait to start your 16th birthday..." I said with a laugh.

"What?" she replied sleepily.

"It's your birthday, sleepyhead. Happy birthday!" I then said.

"Oh!" she went and sat up with her hair sticking out wildly and stared at me.

Then as her thoughts caught up to her, she threw her arms around my neck and hugged me tightly.

"Thank you, Addie!" she said.

"Come on sweetheart. Poppy made breakfast. Well more brunch for you by now. And then there will be presents." I replied.

-----------------

"Oh my God, Addie! This is amazing! Thank you, thank you, thank you!" cheered Cori as she unwrapped her gifts.

Yet she hadn't even seen the best one yet. Not to mention the other surprise that was waiting for her later. I was glad that she liked the first part of her gifts. I had bought her a new phone. Then there was a necklace, perfume, candles, a few books and of course her favorite candy.

"You're welcome, Cori. Well... now you should get dressed. We're going on an outing. I want to take you shopping. This 16 year old needs some cool new clothes," I said.

I was more than aware that I was spoiling her, but I just couldn't help it. And besides, it wasn't every day that you turned 16. On top of that, I felt bad because she never had very nice birthdays.

"I'll be right back." she said, jumping off the sofa and then running up the stairs.

"She doesn't have a clue, does she?" asked Poppy quietly.

"Not the slightest. Are you sure everything is ready?" I asked.

"You bet it is. She's going to freak out! Is Adam coming too?" she giggled.

"She will. And yes... he's meeting us there. He's coming straight from the airport." I replied.

"Okay... I'm ready." said Cori 20 minutes later when she finally came back downstairs.

"Well come on then." I replied.

"Where are you going? Your car is in the garage..." she said when I stepped out of the front door.

"I know... but I thought we'd take your car... To go to your party!" I replied as I handed her the keys.

"Holy shit! You're kidding me, right?" she screeched as her eyes got huge and fell on the car.

"Not at all. Happy birthday, Corinne! I love you little sister!" I said as I hugged her again.

"You really are the best! Thank you and I love you too." she sniffled against my shoulder.

------------------------

"Ready?" I wanted to know as we were about to enter the room where the party would take place. Cori could only nod. I knew she was totally jazzed.

I opened the door. And it was perfect. All of Cori's classmates and friends had come. Together they sang Happy birthday to the birthday girl and then one by one they congratulated her.

"Happy birthday, know-it-all!" said Adam when it was his turn.

Cori grinned broadly as she hugged him and thanked him. I smiled when I saw the two of them together. And even though we hadn't been together very long, he was already an important part of our family.

"Thank you! Oh what's that?" replied Cori and then wondered about the gift.

"It's a new sound system for your car. I figured you'd prefer a better one. I'll install it tomorrow. It will go pretty easily." he explained to her.

"Thank you Adam! That's so cool!" said Cori.

"Now go celebrate. Don't keep your friends waiting." he replied with a laugh.

Cori immediately did what he said and spent time with her friends. Her laughter was music to my ears. For that alone, it was worth the effort.

"How are you doing?" wanted Adam to know after a while.

"Pretty excellent! And I'm glad you're here," I replied.

"Me too. Although I feel like I'm being watched," he said, glancing over his shoulder.

I followed his gaze and saw Cori's friends staring blatantly at Adam. When they saw his look they giggled sheepishly and looked away.

"Oh someone has some new fans.... I think I need to mark my territory." I replied, grabbing his collar and giving him a long kiss.

"Mmmh... I like it when you do that." he smirked afterwards as his hands slid over my hips.

"Oh... I should remember that... And maybe I should do it more often then..." I murmured in his ear.

"I think that's a very good idea, Miss Blake." he replied and then pulled me to him again.