16 Secrets

Adam POV 

"Do you have any idea what kind of car you want to buy for Corinne?" I asked Addie as we walked together, hand in hand, through the square of possible options because she wanted to see what was available.

"Hmmm... I think a small car with not so much horsepower would be good. I'm just not sure if it has to be a new car. Maybe one that is already 2 or 3 years old. What do you think? I really don't know much about cars," she replied.

"Well... I don't think it has to be a new car either. Especially since she's still a beginner. What do you think about a small Honda or Toyota? They don't have as much power. Does the color matter?" I said as we stood in front of a few small cars that I thought would be good candidates.

"For me, the color doesn't matter much, but I think it does for Cori. I like the one in white. What is that one?" asked Addie to me as we stopped in front of a car.

"It's a Ford Fiesta. Two years old, 98 horsepower. Sounds like just what you wanted." I replied after glancing at the sign.

"What do you think?" she wanted to know.

"Appears to be good. No obvious damage. Not even scratches and the tires are as good as new too. I'd like to see it from underneath. That shouldn't be a problem. I can talk to the dealer if you'd like. How much time do we have before we have to go to the airport to pick up Cori?" I replied as I took a closer look at the car.

"Oh we still have four hours. Plenty of time to get this done. I'm so excited to hear what she's going to say." Addie said excitedly after a quick glance at her watch.

"She's going to freak out for sure. Do you know how you're going to do it yet?" I asked as I put my arms around her.

"I was thinking I could pretend we're going on a trip and then I'll drive her here to pick up the car. That way she won't suspect anything." she explained to me.

"You're at least as excited as she will be. Can you keep it a secret for another week?" I chuckled, knowing exactly how damn hard it would be for her.

"I can keep it a secret. At least I'll try really hard. Can you keep it to yourself?" she wanted to know.

"Oh you bet I can. After all, I already have plans for Valentine's Day and you haven't managed to pry them out of me yet. Not that you haven't tried," I replied.

"True. But I'm excited. It's our first Valentine's Day together." she giggled.

"And one of many to come." I replied, giving her a kiss on the nose.

Addie gave me a bright smile. It was the very smile I loved so much and couldn't get enough of....

"Have I told you today that I love you?" Addie asked, looking at me dreamily.

"Yep... you did.... And I love you even more." I said and then gave her a long, very needed kiss.

"What do you say we go talk to the car dealer? Then we can take it for a test drive and then we'll see if it's in good shape." I then wanted to know as I pushed a strand of her hair over her shoulder.

"Okay. Let's do this. And thanks, Adam." she replied as we headed out to look for the vendor.

"For what?" i asked.

"For your help and... actually for everything..." she replied shyly.

"Always." I said winking at her before lifting her hand and placing a kiss on it.

----------------

Addison POV

"I don't think I've ever seen a flight land early. I hope Cori isn't worried," I said to Adam as he parked the car and we hurried into the arrivals hall to pick up my sister.

"She's probably still waiting for her luggage and hasn't realized we're not there yet," Adam replied.

I started looking around inside to see if I saw anyone from her class. And it wasn't long before I saw her friend Sarah and the teacher of the class. With quick steps we went to the group, but I didn't see Corinne. Hadn't everyone arrived here with their luggage yet?"

"Hi Mrs. Gunderson. Where is Corinne?" I asked the teacher.

"Miss Blake? What are you doing here?" she asked me.

"What do you think I'm doing here? I'm here to pick up Corinne. Where is she?" I wanted to know.

"But.... she's already been picked up. And she was so excited. It was her mother. I had her show me her ID specifically. Corinne's mother said that it was agreed with you that she would drive Corinne home because you had an urgent business appointment," she explained to me.

Immediately, all color drained from my face as I stared at the woman, bewildered.

"Have you gone crazy? I have custody for my sister. And you let her go without checking with me? I haven't spoken to this woman in over half a year. Let alone give her permission to pick up Corinne!" I screeched.

"Addie... Calm down. You need to call Corinne. Now!" said Adam, bringing me back to myself. He was right.

I dialed her number and waited desperately for her to pick up. It rang and rang and rang.

"Hi Addie!" she said cheerfully.

"Cori? Where the hell are you?" I asked quickly.

"I'm on my way home with mom. She said you guys were going to surprise me for my birthday week. That's so great. Thanks, Addie." babbled Cori.

"Cori... I didn't send her. I don't know anything about this whole thing. I'm at the airport with Adam to pick you up. Where are you right now?" I explained to her agitated.

"What, but... Addie doesn't know? Mom? What's going on?" replied Cori.

"Nothing, baby... I just want to surprise you for your important birthday. Everything else is still a secret. Give me that!" I heard mom say, followed by rustling and a bang. Then the connection was cut off.

The way I judged my mother, she had simply thrown Cori's phone out of the moving car. With shaking hands and shock coursing through my body, I looked up at Adam.

"We...we have to get to the police really fast," I said in a weak voice.

I had no idea what my mother was really up to, but knowing her, it couldn't be anything good. That was exactly what I wanted to protect my sister from. But I had failed miserably.