29 Don't freak out

Addison POV

In the meantime it was already 3 o'clock in the morning as a quick glance at the clock showed me. I tried in vain to sleep, but the now increasingly strong contractions made that as good as impossible. Therefore I kept an eye on the time between the contractions. But so far they had always been too far apart. Sometimes 15 minutes, sometimes 20, then again every 10 minutes.

I finally gave up and carefully rolled out of bed so as not to wake Adam. I wanted him to get as much sleep as possible before it was time to go to the hospital. But my efforts proved fruitless. I hadn't even taken the first step when I heard his tired voice behind me.

"Is it time? Where are you going?" he asked softly.

"Go back to sleep, Adam. I just can't lie down anymore. I need to move around a bit. Maybe this will help," I replied.

Of course, he didn't lie back down, but threw his blanket aside and followed me as I slowly waddled my way downstairs. Adam took my hand and stayed by my side the whole time. He really tried not to let the nervousness show. He didn't have much success though. Especially not when I was having a contraction. I knew it was hard for him to see me in pain. Again and again he rubbed my back and encouraged me with words. 

"Maybe we should make our way to the hospital now. The intervals are getting shorter." he suggested after an hour.

"Yeah... maybe you're right. Call the midwife and get the bag. I'll go tell Cori." I replied as a particularly painful contraction passed.

I made my way to Corinne's room to wake her up and tell her that we were going to the hospital after all. I didn't really want to wake her, but she had insisted. She wanted to be informed about everything.

"Cori? Wake up, sweetheart." I said softly as I sat down on her bed.

"What's wrong?" she mumbled sleepily.

"We're heading to the hospital. But you can go back to sleep, okay? We'll keep you and Poppy posted," I said softly.

"Can I come with you?" she wanted to know.

"I think it's better if you stay here. I have no idea how long it will take and you would only be bored. But if you want you don't have to go to school. I'll write you an note. And as soon as Lou Lou Wiggler is born, you'll be the first to visit her," I replied, stroking her hair.

"Okay. I'm excited to meet her." said Cori softly.

"I know. Me too." I replied and then stood up to make my way back downstairs.

But then I noticed that I should probably change first. I did that quickly and then carefully went down the stairs.

Adam was waiting for me at the door. Well, or rather I should say he was pacing up and down at the door. It looked like he was having trouble controlling his breathing.

"Are you okay?" I wanted to know.

"Um... sure.... Nervous, excited, and I wish I could take away your pain. But other than that, I'm just peachy." he uttered quickly.

"Take it easy. Don't freak out. If you freak out, I'll freak out. We're just having a baby. No big deal." I replied.

"I have no idea how you can be so calm." He laughed as he led me to the car.

"I don't know that myself. I don't think it's going to stay that way though." I said as we headed out to bring our daughter into the world.