Chapter 40

::August::

I woke up the next morning to the sound of the vacuum cleaner and the smell of food. I got out of the bed and opened my room door. I seen Ms.Evelyn vacuuming the floor.

"Good Morning." She said turning it off and waving at me.

"Wassup," I said before going back into my room and brushing my teeth before going downstairs to see Eva on the phone and cooking. I walked up behind her and took a piece of bacon off of the plate. I laughed and kissed her on the cheek when she gave me a death stare. "Okay That's fine. I'll come by later and discuss the details with you.....okay have a nice day." She hung up the phone and placed it on the counter.

"Why you not at work?"

"I quit."

My eyes widened. "You did what?"

"August before you say anything-" "Eva, We can't afford that right now. Im going through this stuff with the label, Im still-"

"August, I have a job, a new job. " She looked down at her watch before rolling her eyes and sighing. "I have to go."

"Yo, I need to talk to you later."

*****

"Can you at least call him?" My brother asked as we sat on the couch playing 2k15. "Because if dude call my phone one more time.." He added.
I haven't spoken to my dad, aunt, or sisters since the incident.
"What im supposed to say? I know you tried to kill me over money but i forgive you."
He paused the game and looked at me. See my brother and I didn't have the same dad. His father well was completely different from ours.
"You know thats not what I meant... Look man ion know but just tell him to stop calling me cause ion have shit to say to him."

"Whatever man." I motioned for him to un-pause the game.

*******
I walked into Destiny's dad office. He had became my lawyer helping me with a lot of my legal actions. "Eva, Hey." Derek, Destiny's brother.
"Look at little Eva Lawrence." I smiled as I hugged him. "How are you?" He asked.
"Im fine. What brings you back home? I thought you were loving New York."
"I was but its just something about this California weather." He joked.

Derek was 5 years older than Destiny and I. I grew up with Destiny. Her mom and my mom were actually best friends in high school. They did everything together. Including having Naomi and Derek around the same time and having Destiny and I at the same time. Lets just say Jordan was a surprise child.
Destiny's mom took my mothers death hard and now that she's alive they haven't spoken because she's mad. I can't blame her.

"Or is because you couldn't stay away from me." I joked. When I was in middle school I had a huge crush on Derek. A huge one.

"You still remember that?" He laughed. "How could I forget? Destiny didn't talk to me for a month when she found out I liked you but I kept telling her your a senior in high school and I'm still in junior high. Derek doesn't want a little girl like me."

"Trust me, im starting to regret that now." he mumbled under his breath. "Umm, okay. My dad had to go out of town for an emergency case, so i told him i'll help him out since you know , our history."

*******
I pulled up to Chris's house and quickly got out of the car. The meeting with Derek ran a little longer than I expected.

"Im sorry im late." I said as he opened the door. He nodded his head letting me know it was cool. I followed him to a room in the back of the house that looked like a office.
"Really Chris?" I said turning around and looking at him once I seen Trey sitting in the office.
"What? I need your help on another project as well and plus yall need to talk."
"I came him on a professional vendetta not a personal one." I rolled my eyes.