02 ☂ Defeat

Defeat

"So, out of all of us, Diego is the one that gets put into a mental institution? It should've been you." Eight giggled to herself, walking into the asylum with Five by her side to visit their brother.

In response, the boy groaned and moved in the direction of the information panel, leaving Eight to fend for herself.

While the nurses brought out Diego, the two were led into a visitor-only area that was empty at the time.

Two male nurses stood watch on either side of the door as they led the man inside, his hoarse voice echoing throughout the space, "Five. Eight."

"Hey, Diego." Eight smiled weakly, seeing through the tall man's porcelain eyes.

He appeared to be completely lost, and it was mostly their fault. She had the impression from his long hair and beard that he had been living here for a while, and that the rest of the family had probably never paid him a visit. This made her think about how everyone must be feeling isolated and out of place.

"You look good in white." Five smirked at the sigh of the man, watching as he sat down on the chair opposite to them.

"About time you showed up." Diego scoffed.

"How'd you know we'd be back?" Eight furrowed her brow in question.

"Because that's the kind of shit you pull" the man answered simply.

"Were are the others?" Five questioned the man.

"They're not with you?" Diego looked at the two blankly.

"We'll find them." Eight put her hand on Five's fisted one, mumbling to him softly.

"How long have you been here?" Five asked the man, his state now calmer than before.

"Seventy-five days. Landed in the alley behind.." Diego answered, "Commerce and Knox." the three said in unison, looking at each other with confusion.

"You?"

"We just got here this morning." Eight answered, her eyes empathetic towards the man across her.

"How'd you find me?" He asked them, his brow furrowing, his eyes dark and unemotional.

Five scoffed before pulling out a piece of rolled paper from his blazer pocket, opening it up to reveal the torn article of Diego's stupidity. "Page 16. Disturbed man with multiple knives arrested outside 1026 N. Beckley." Five read the title out loud.

"That's Lee Harvey Oswald's house." Eight stated, her head lifting up to look at the man.

"Care to explain?"

"Let's just say, Dallas Law Enforcement has not been supportive of my attempt to stop the assassination of...John F. Kennedy." the man explained, his voice getting quieter by every word.

"Because it hasn't happened yet." Five freaked out.

"And it's not going to happen." Diego said softly.

"We're not supposed to mess with the time line Diego." Eight breathed out, her eyes widespread.

"Look, I've been shaving down the bars in my room. Another day or two, and I'll be out of this place, then I'm gonna stop Oswald and save the president. You want in, say the word." The man said proudly, leaning back in his chair with a smirk on his lips.

"Oh in the name of the speed force." Eight cursed under her breath, leaning back in her chair with her head thrown behind, staring at the ceiling.

"You know what.. Guards. My brother is plotting an escape. The bars of his room have been shaved down." Five stated, standing up from his seat, getting the girl's attention.