22

She had almost made it out of the house but Kol had grabbed her wrist just before she could leave.

"Izzy?" He asked.

She turned around slowly and met Kol's eyes.

"God, this is so confusing." She mumbled.

Kol frowned, "what part?"

She took a deep breath and noticed Elijah coming into the room, standing behind Kol to listen in, "I know I've been technically awake for a few months but that was in my younger selves body and with no memories. Now, I remember what it felt like being invisible for a thousand years. It just feels strange actually being able to touch and talk to... other people." She had to pause as memories of her and Thomas swarmed her mind.

"You're with us now, that's all that matters." Elijah said, walking closer to them.

Isabella shook her head, looking down to the floor, "it doesn't feel right, not without... without-" she couldn't finish the sentence.

"Thomas?" Kol asked.

She nodded, finally looking back up to them, "we were meant to make it out together."

Her eyes jumped between Elijah and Kol who were both looking at her with a look of pity. She hated it. She didn't want to be pitied.

"Are you going to help me find him?" She asked, hopeful.

Kol glanced back at Elijah, both with a sad look on their face. Isabella's hope instantly vanished, "what- what's wrong?"

"Elijah and I aren't staying." Kol announced.

Isabella's mouth opened slightly as she stared at them in confusion, "why not?"

"Mystic falls isn't our home. We have no reason to stay here. Mother and Finn are gone. We will come back if any of you need our help but other than that, we're gone." Elijah said.

"Come with me." Kol said, letting his lips tip up at one side, hopeful.

"You're not going together?" Isabella asked.

Kol shook his head, "no. We're splitting up. It's for the best. Nothing ever turns out good when any of us are together."

"Why do you want me with you then?" She asked.

Kol smiled a bit more, "you're the only one I can stand, obviously."

There were tears gathering up in Isabella's eyes. She knew what she had to do. "I- I can't. I have to stay here. There seems to be every species of, like, everything in this town. Maybe the Bennett witch can help me. I can't leave Thomas in the Other Side by himself. Y-you don't know how it feels. And I couldn't imagine it by myself either."

Elijah walked over to Isabella and kissed her temple, "I understand. Text or call me if you need anything."

She nodded, "I will."

"For now, goodbye, little sister." He said, smiling slightly.

"Bye, Lijah." She whispered.

Before she could blink, Elijah was gone. A tear finally left her eyes.

She had wanted her family back for a millennium and when she finally had them in her grasp again, they were splitting up.

"Are you sure you don't want to join me?" Kol asked.

Isabella hesitated for a second as she examined Kol's face. She wanted to take everything in. The way he could finally see her, she loved it. But she nodded, "I'm sure."

Kol leaned forwards and kissed her forehead. When he leaned backwards, he was smiling, "so, this boyfriend of yours?" He teased.

Isabella finally let a laugh escape her mouth as she hit Kol's chest slightly, "he's not my boyfriend."