4. Friends

Immediately when we got home I went up the stairs and into my room locking the door.  Laying down I turn my TV on and watch my favorite show. Then my door starts to shake and I can tell someone's trying to get in. When it finally opens it reveals my dad holding a key in his hand. He puts his hands in his pocket and walks towards me.

"Lena, I'm going on a business trip for about a month or more. I trust you'll be fine here with Sarah. Its for a promotion." He said sitting on my bed. "I love you."

Before I can respond there is an incoming call coming through on my phone. I smile up at my dad.

"I love you too."

"Be good, Lena." He says then walks out of my room.

They called again and then I answer it.

I hear Cardo's voice telling me hey.

"Hey." I respond smiling ear to ear. I'm glad he can't see me blushing.

"You still laying down." he asks.

"Yeah, what are you doing?"

"Chilling with my boys and uh- other stuff."

"Do you guys ever separate and what kind of other stuff?"

"Like stuff you shouldn't do and Nah not really. These my homies."

"How long have you know them?"

"I've known Ray gay ass since my 5th grade year."

In the background I hear Ray yell "You wasn't saying that when you was all up in this!"

I was rolling because him and Cardo started arguing over this petty subject.

"Hey guys calm down its okay." I say trying to contain my laughter but failing.

"Stop laughing bruh." Cardo said in all seriousness.

"Okay I'm done." I say still laughing a little. I was having that moment where it's really not funny anymore but your emotions won't let you stop laughing.

"Anyways, I met Danny in the 7th grade but Ray already knew him and we was all chill."

"What about Carlos when did his mom send him here?"

"I met Carlos in the beginning of 9th grade and that was the year his mom sent him."

"Because of the gang violence."

Suddenly everything went dead silent and I said hello in the phone to make sure he was still there.

"Yea-uh, I forgot we told you about that." he replies with a little sourness at the end of his sentence.

"Okay, well it's 8:00 now and I'm going to take a shower."

"You need help mamí." I hear Carlos yell. I guess he has me on speaker phone. It's a good thing I didn't ask the questions that were on my mind.

"Shut your ass up." Danny said laughing.

"At least I tried." Carlos replied.

"Man whatever, but you have a nice shower baby." Cardo said talking back to me.

"Baby?" I say with attitude. "I ain't your damn baby. You're too immature for me."

I heard the guys erupt in laughter at my joke.

"So you got jokes. I'm bout to give it to yo ass." Cardo said.

"You're about to give it to me? Give me what?" I reply acting clueless.

"You know damn well..."

I just laugh and say bye to them before hanging up. Getting up I get my pajamas out and go get in the shower.

Crawling in the bed after my shower I lay there and watch re-runs of Boy Meets World. When my eyes start to get heavy my door cracks open. I can see Sarah through the small slot that is open. Sitting up and rubbing my eyes I can now clearly see it is Sarah dressed in all black.

"I just wanted to say Good Night and I'll be back in the morning." she whispers before closing the door back leaving me in my thoughts. Where does she need to go at...10:49 at night. I can't remember what my dad told me she did as a job.

I just hope whatever it is she's safe. Turning my TV off I roll on my side and drift off into the only place I'm truly happy, in my dreams.

••••••••••

It's not the sunlight that wakes me up. Its the faint smell of bacon and pancakes. Going in the bathroom I wash my face and hands and rush downstairs. I stop running when I pass my dad.

"Good Morning." he said brightly.

"Morning." I smile but I continue to walk to the kitchen where Sarah is in jeans and a t-shirt. She's usually dressed in all designer.

"Slow down." My dad laughed after me.

Sarah turns around and smiles at me. "Good morning, Lena." she said.

"Morning." I sing and she laughs at me too. Just as I am about to ask why she cooked so much the boys walk in.

"Good Morning." Cardo said walking towards me with a smirk on his face.

"Morning." I smile at him. Sarah makes a playful sour face at me and him.

"Don't tell me my step daughter is also my niece in law." She said playing like she's hurt.

"Chill, Te-Te." Cardo laughs walking up to hug her. I know I look confused so Cardo explains. "This is my aunt on my moms side."
No wonder they're always over here. Sarah is my step-mom and I have feelings for her nephew.

"When were you going to tell me?" I ask.

"I don't know but I ain't think it was a big deal." Cardo explains.

"I'll be back." I say before rushing out of the kitchen and up the stairs. Going in my room I lock the door and pick out an outfit for today. I decide on some plain gray joggers and a black polo v-neck with short sleeves. Getting dressed I smile a little. Cardo is cute, and he doesn't seem like a hoe.

I walk back downstairs just as my dad is walking out the door.

"You weren't gonna say goodbye?" I pop up in the front doorway.

"Goodbye, sweet child of mine." He chuckles walking up to kiss my forehead.

I watch as his cab leaves and then I turn to go have breakfast with everyone else. When we get finished I decide to take a jog but as I'm walking to tell them where I'm going, I hear conversation. What can I say? I'm nosey.

"You trynna fuck or be with her?" I overhear Ray ask.

"You know how I get down. Strictly fuck." Cardo answers. They all laugh and then I'm suddenly met with a weird feeling. Rejection. Rejection of my feelings that I've never spoken aloud.

Putting my headphones in I turn on my Pandora Radio and blast the music so I can't hear anything. Without saying anything I just walk out. I decide not to even sweat it. I feel some one following me and I turn around to see Cardo. I roll my eyes and keep walking. Soon enough he stops following and turns around.

Strictly fuck. I'm a piece of ass to him. That's how guys do you. They flirt, pretend to care, then reveal their true feelings to their friends.