5. What?

Cardo is an indignant asshole and that's exactly what I'll tell him when I see him. I've been avoiding him at all costs. I really have nothing to say. Yes I do. I have a ton of things to say. I don't know how to say them though. I've been in Cali for 2 weeks total and I've experienced more than the 15 years I spent in Connecticut.

A week has passed since my father has left. We talk everyday twice to check up on each other. He seems to be having fun with his little publishing business. Traveling is always fun. He used to invite me and Mom on his trips out of the country. We went to France, Jamaica, and Japan. My mom would take jogs in each city with me while dad was gone. She said it made her see how similar everyone's world was. We all had something in common. She said a lot of things like that. Wise things. My mom was so smart too. Lesleigh Morreno had a way with words.

I'm on my morning run now. Ray was supposed to join me but something came up. When I make my circle around the neighborhood I walk up to the steps of my house. I really don't want to go in so I sit on the swing in the corner of the porch. Taking out my headphones I just lay back and listen to the wind. I check the time again and it's 10:00 a.m.

Like a bad habit I start thinking about Cardo again. I just can't believe this, I'm tempted to just ask him about it. Before I can take it into further consideration the front door opens. Cardo steps out with the guys following him.

I close my eyes and hope they don't see me. Cardo doesn't. Carlos is looking at his phone so I know he doesn't see me. Then Danny just has to look over to his right. He stops in his tracks and furrows his brows. I put my finger over my lips but then all the boys come back up the stairs to see what's holding Danny up. When they see me Ray starts shaking his head and smiling.

Looking at Cardo I can see his light skin tone turning red a little. I stand up ready to say something but Cardo visibly calms down and walks away shaking his head smiling. It was one of those sarcastic smiles.

The rest of them follow him but they at least say goodbye. Why do I want to run after him and beg for his forgiveness? I don't though. Before he can get in his car I run after him and tap his shoulder with a lot of force.

"What you want man?"

I say simply. "You know how I get down." I say in mock tone. "Strictly fu-" he cuts me off with his hand.

"You overheard?" He says closing his eyes.

"Yeah, why else did you think I was mad? You have some nerve trying to turn me into a fuck buddy. You're an asshole and you have no respect. I can't believe I was even starting to like you. It was all a game to you but let me tell you something," I pause to catch my breath.

Cardo grabs my face then and kisses me. I kiss him back in that moment. I forgot everything I was going to say in that moment. In that very second I just wanted him to keep his lips on mine. When he pulls away I keep my eyes closed.

"You're right and I'm sorry." He tells me. Then I feel his skinny arms around me.

"You're right and I'm sorry." I copy in a trance.

He laughs, "I'll come pick you up tomorrow."

I nodded walking away and into the house. He just kissed me. On my lips.

Sarah is on the phone yelling at someone so I take that as my opportunity to sneak upstairs.

I was sitting in my lounge when the door opens slowly but wide revealing Sarah. I smile and wave knowing I'm in trouble. She gives me a fake smile while walking over to me. She plops down in one of my love seats and crosses her legs.

Looking up I say "Go ahead, get it over with."

"Lena, I don't think you understand there are people who could hurt you when you take those morning runs."