War plans

Thomas never said a word and he kept his head down toward the ground. Every once in a while, I would see him close his eye and reopen them or shaking his head. I sent my mom and Agatha to the other room to get some rest before they headed back to the pack. I sat at the table with Kane and Drayche while they played cards and cracked jokes. I sat and thought to myself about everything that's happened and try to think of a way to help Thomas, if he is willing to let me. I want to get to know him for who he really is, but I don't know how to go about it. I caught myself glancing at him several times, but he never looked up.

I don't really know what he is thinking about, but I hope he understands we are not at all what he was told. He never did state that he believed my mother, but he has to, she had a truth potion and couldn't lie. Maybe he will see that we are loving and kind and everything he should have been, that he can be that too one day. I also feel bad for him. The people who raised him not only stole him away from his family, but they also filled him full of lies and used him. I was pulled out of my thoughts by fingers snapping in front of my face.

"What?" I snapped unintentionally.

"Whoa don't bite my head off." Kane said.

"Sorry, I was deep in my thoughts."

"I didn't mean to startle you, I asked you a question, but it seemed like you couldn't even hear me."

"I didn't, I'm sorry. What was your question?"

"Agatha. Do you know her well?"

"Yeah, why?"

"This is the first time I have met her in person. I know we were communicating for a while but never in person. Is she mated?"

"No, I don't think she is. Why?"

"I think she might be my mate. I mean my second chance at a mate that is."

"Really?! Are you sure?"

"Not really, but I have this feeling like I am being drawn to her. It's not as strong as it was with my first mate, but it is there."

"You should talk to her, Kane, before she leaves."

"You think I should?"

"Yes, if she is your second chance, jump on it. You probably won't get another."

"You won't be mad?"

"Why would I be mad?"

"I know you two have history together."

"Kane, there is nothing but friendship between us now. There wasn't even that a year ago so, go for it. You have my support."

"Thank you, Magnus, I will talk to her."

A few hours went by when my mom and Agatha returned to the room. They looked a lot better. Resting did them some good. My mom looked stronger and less tired. Agatha looked rejuvenated and no longer had bags under her eyes. Thomas slept off and on while everyone was quiet but when he notices my mom came back into the room, he lifted his head a little.

He looked like he wanted to say something but wasn't sure how to. He looked between me and our mother with his eyebrows drawn together. Sensing he needed a little help I cleared my throat before addressing him in a calm voice. "Thomas, if you have something to say you can say it."

He shared a look with me before turning to our mother when he spoke for the first time in hours. "I believe you. It's a hard thing for me to do and I have to come to terms with it, but I know now I have been lied to and it wasn't by you. I am sorry for everything I have done and all the trouble I put you and your family through."