ONE

"You are fired!"

"You are fired!"

I could not break this news in simpler words than these, and I wasn't reveling in the way she was ready to break down right in front of me, either. When someone did that, didn't you feel a surge of guilt come at you from all sides, seeking to smother, strangle, and wreck you until you gave up or gave in?

Yeah, that one. Nope. I didn't feel that.

"Oh, come on, Ms. Williams, we both knew this day was coming. Your probation time expired months ago, and you haven't met a single goal. No sale. No job." I said it casually. I could hear the crackles of domineering power in my voice and didn't have to estimate what it might be for Genevieve Williams, twenty-five, to be on the receiving end of.

However, before Genevieve could respond legitimately on how and why she may still be a benefit to my firm, the door to my office cabin burst wide open, and a man in a crisp black suit came inside with all the authority in the world.

The authority I did not remember giving to anyone.

"Josh!" I greeted. "What a delight," I said, a sickly professional smile on my face. The way Josh returned the sarcastic gesture with a slight roll of his eyes, I was quite sure the irony was not lost on him.

"Of course, my dear," he responded, his own sardonic tone trying to force an eye roll out of me, but I focused on fixing him with a glare instead. "I deeply apologize for the interference. That was very impolite of me. Ms. Williams?" He turned to face the woman and opened his arm to show her the door.

"Margo will be exceptionally helpful in explaining the rest of the things. Maddox and I wish you the best of luck in the future. Now, if you please excuse us, we have something really important to discuss."

I watched Genevieve bow her head with a brief hesitation on her footing, but she did as she was told, making her way out.

"Also, would you mind closing the door on your way, please? Thank you." Josh added with a small, kind smile.

Genevieve, who appeared almost on the edge of turning on the waterworks, mumbled something that at least I couldn't hear.

"You're a beast!" I smiled gently, collapsing into the cosy office chair, swinging my head and focusing my sight on the sole guy now seated across the desk. "So, to what do I owe this wonderful pleasure?"

Josh pursed his lips and dribbled his fingers against the handrest. Not saying a word, only watching with playfulness in his gaze. As if silently asking me to guess. I found his silence a little mysterious, wouldn't lie, it gave a solid kick to my curiosity. I also felt the need to ask again, but I never asked twice. Old habits die hard and shit. So, I waited, leaning in my chair, eyes hardening towards him.

"We got the land!" he announced. Finally.

At first, his words confused me because of the apparent lack of reference. But gradually, as what he said settled in, everything made sense. I'm pretty sure my eyes swelled out. "Did we?"