SIXTY TWO

I woke up in a dark room

For a second, I thought I was back in that hellhole.

I sat up with a jolt, so fast my head swayed and the entire room spun. A dark figure loomed near the foot of the bed and fear hijacked my mind.

I whimpered, feeling something hard against my back, stuck in the middle of a shadow of the man and something that barred me from crawling backwards. Panic prickled the back of my neck, chewing at the little sanity I still had intact. But it was only when the shadow moved and took a step closer I screamed like hell.

"Zara!" Someone called. It came from the dark figure. "Calm down. It's me." He said and gained another, cautious step in my direction. The shaft of light sneaking from the cracks between the curtains struck his face. My shoulders dropped, and panic melted when it hit me who he was.

"Brandon?" It really was him. But...

"Shit! I didn't know you could screech like that." He said and I could tell he was trying to act all cool while from the inside he was just as scared as I was.

I tried to get off the bed, but he held his hands up and warned me against it. "Don't even think about it. " He took a seat on the bed and adjusted the blanket over my legs. "How are you feeling?"

"Good question." I mused, rubbing my forehead. "Like an express train ran over me. Multiple times."

Brandon chucked, but it was a sad chuckle. He held my hand and gave me a gentle squeeze. "I'm just glad you're okay."

"Me too." Even though I had no hope of surviving the night, it somehow baffled me to know I did. It was nothing short of a miracle if you ask me. That man was one demented case. "But how did you get out? You weren't—"

"With you?" He finished what I wanted to say, and I quickly nodded.

"Yeah. Well. I wasn't. They didn't take me with you. After they knocked me out, I woke up in the same shack I found you. My car was right outside. But you weren't there, and I had no way of knowing where they took you. It was stupid of me, Zara. I should have listened to you. I—"

"It wasn't your fault..." I said but then something clicked and I frowned. "Speaking of faults—where is he?"

Brandon sighed. "Outside. He didn't want to be the first person you saw after you woke up. He was afraid you'll throw something at him." His frown hardened, mixed with a lot of confusion. "Which is weird, you know? Because you were this close to hurling that lamp at me—"

"Can you just send him in?" I cut him off before he could say something I was not ready to hear. Not yet.

"Sure." He kissed my forehead and steered for the door. Before leaving, however, he turned around one last time. "He'll be here in less than a minute. You think you can manage till then without choking on the air or something?"