THIRTY TWO

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" I asked Armonica as she pulled up the car in front of an enormous mansion

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" I asked Armonica as she pulled up the car in front of an enormous mansion. Damn. Whoever owned this place sure had an extravagant taste.

"Pretty sure!" she grinned, her eyes sparkling as she moved out of the car and waited for me to catch up.

With a deep breath, I drank in the glorious sight in front of me one more time and finally got out.

After Maddox left me to deal with that embarrassing situation, I swore to teach him a lesson. A lesson he would never forget. A lesson about boundaries and lines he should dare never cross. How could he do that to me? The fucking bastard! Leaving me naked and cuffed and vulnerable. How I gathered up the courage to ask for help, only I knew the pain and shame that caused me.

I could have called mom for help, but that would've made her suspicious and worried. I wasn't sure if I had the stamina to deal with all her concerns right now. It was better to keep her out of this, anyway. I couldn't afford to hurt her anymore. She sure would be so disappointed in me...if she ever came to know.

I did not have big plans for now, but I knew where to start.

And it started with dodging him tonight.

Maddox had mentioned his business trip this morning. It had to be important. Why else would he be willing to take me with him (apparently not trusting me) when he could ignore it or send someone else in his place? Hoping my hunch was right, I left my apartment immediately after Armonica showed up.

Despite being the cousin of my enemy, surprisingly, this girl was my only hope.

Maddox used Armonica to play his filthy game. Now, it was my turn to respond.

It took a bit of drama, but I convinced Armonica that Maddox and I needed a break. She already knew everything about us, probably through her cousin and the mess she had to endure in my apartment, so I didn't try to act clueless like I used to earlier.

It stung to know how much she backed her cousin though. That bastard didn't deserve that kind of loyalty.

Maddox was a tyrant. A stalker. An obsessed asshole who didn't know how to give someone space, or how to stay within his limits. I was a fool to be involved with him. To let him do as he wished.

Sadly, he wasn't the only one at fault. I was uniformly accountable for everything that happened between us. If it weren't for my irrepressible and conflicted feelings regarding him, he wouldn't have been able to mess with me over and over again. He wouldn't have been able to hurt me the way he did, he wouldn't have let me down this morning.

After he left, I did find myself wondering if he really wanted to marry me or if this was some kind of sick joke. It probably was. One couldn't be sure when it came to Maddox Richmond. He was so good at putting up a guise to hide his factual intentions that one could easily mistake his words for being true. I did, and it was saying something.