THIRTY SEVEN

I didn't have to look at those papers to know what was written on them

I didn't have to look at those papers to know what was written on them. It was the same marriage contract. The one that I stupidly forgot to burn. I should have. Why didn't I? Maybe I should now. Was it too late?

As if he would let you! My conscious snorted. And even if he does, what makes you think he doesn't have copies?

Point. But that didn't mean I would do as he asked. He didn't own me. No one did.

"I won't!" I grounded my jaw and glowered up at him. If he thought he could make me sign those papers by playing this ploy of intimidation, he was wrong. "I'd never sign them. Take them away!" Clutching the file, I flung it back at him. He caught them just in time before they could have scattered to the floor.

If he was angry earlier, now he was livid.

Wiping my cheeks, I tossed my legs to the side of the bed and stood up.

His intense gaze stabbed through me.

My knees threatened to buckle. But I held myself together. I had to. I couldn't let him win. Not again. Not ever.

"Don't make this more difficult than it has to be, Zara! Just sign the damn papers."

"Don't accuse me of making it difficult. You're the one who can't get this simple fact into that dumbass head. I don't want you. I don't even like you. Why would I be willing to marry you? Unless I want to destroy my life. And I love myself enough to not accept this nightmare of being married to an asshole like you!" I yelled at him, my throat searing with disgust for this man. Why did I ever let him close to me? What was I even thinking? He was bad news from the very beginning. An asshole tucked in an expensive suit, that's all.

The corner of his lips pinched in irritation. His eyes turned even darker with something that instantly plugged a shudder down my spine. He charged at me. I took a step back. Ready to turn. And run. But he grabbed me before I could reach the door of the bedroom. The pair of his strong arms narrowed around my waist. I shouted at him. Struggled to get his hands off me. To get him off my back. But as if nothing I did made any difference to him.

"You're crossing your limit, Maddox! I'm warning you—"

"Brandon!" he said calmly and whatever words I was about to chuck at him died in my mouth.

What did he just say?

A mix of horror and shock crossed my face, my heart sank so deep inside me, there was no way to tell if it could find its way back up.

Why did he bring him up?

I turned my head to look up at him. And sure enough, something akin to triumph was twinkling in those green eyes of his. He knew what he was doing. He was using my best friend as bait.

No. He wouldn't.

"You're not leaving me with many choices here, darling. I asked you nicely, didn't I?"