SEVEN

"I don't understand

"I don't understand. How hard could it be to find one man?" I heard myself shout.

"Calm down, Maddox. We're trying our best."

"You call this your best?" I scoffed. What the fuck was wrong with her? And how the hell could she be so calm? "I want some fucking results, Jade. I don't know what you and your men are doing, but you're getting me nowhere."

It'd been nearly two years, and we hadn't been able to get anything on Richard Milton. How could he just disappear? It's impossible. Unless someone much more powerful pulled him in their wings. And that's the mystery I couldn't solve for the life of me. Who would want to make an enemy out of me? Who could be that stupid?

But Jade was right. I needed to calm the fuck down because getting worked up was going to get me nowhere. It fucking got me into more shit if I'd be honest.

Like that one time, when I dealt with that demented girl who dared to slap me in my office. I still hadn't been able to forget that insult. It's impossible to. And whenever I thought about it, I felt myself growing angrier and angrier. Even after turning her life miserable, forcing her to beg people for help, I wasn't satisfied. In fact, I had wanted to ruin her even more. For her to beg me for forgiveness.

But Jade convinced me I had done enough and should better leave that girl fuck alone. There were more important things to focus on other than that idiotic girl with the prettiest eyes.

"I think we should widen the area of the search," Jade suggested, bringing me back into my home office, where we sat across from each other, a damn office desk between us. "If our suspicion is right. And someone is helping him out. He might have left the country for all we know. And that'd mean we've been wasting our money and resources in a wild goose chase."

"You're right," I sighed, leaning back into the chair, and twirling the pen between my fingers.

"Great," she finally said and picked herself off the chair. "I'll get back to you if I find something."

I gave her a dismissive nod.

However, before she left, she turned back once more to the door. "Dox?"

"Hmm?" I looked up from the files sprawled on the table.

"We'll find Milton. Sooner or later. But when that happens, I hope you'll make him suffer."

I met her gaze. Found the same hatred she held two years back in her dark eyes. A sick grin curled at the corner of my lips. "Death would seem easier in front of what I've in store for that bastard."

* * *

"Mr Maddox Richmond, I'm talking to you. Pay attention when I'm saying something for your benefit."

With an audible groan, I ran a hand down my face. God, not again.

Five months back, mom had a mild heart attack. She was visiting Nathan, my younger brother, during that time, helping him prepare for the wedding with his long-time girlfriend, Nadine. But the night before the rehearsal dinner, mom complained about a sharp pain in her shoulder and chest. Nathan called to inform me while I was attending one of the video conferences with the North Asian clients. I took a flight instantly. By the time I reached the hospital, she was stable.