SIXTY

"Are you sure this is the right place?" Glancing at the lone red-bricked house, far from the main city, I cannot help but ask

Turns out, I have a thing for bad decisions and pissing people off. Even though the latter one comes off as no surprise, it bothers me to think I'm willing to take such a colossal risk by putting my faith in Jade. She doesn't deserve it as far as I know. But something tells me if I didn't give her this chance, I wouldn't get another either. And I have too many regrets to add more to the stack. So, here I am. At the exact location, she got it from one of her guys, waiting for a sign that this isn't the worst fuckup of my life.

Nathan was absolutely against revising the plan at the last minute. But I asked him to trust me. He said he couldn't. And, yes, that was pretty much the end of the conversation before he waited for me to get out of the car and left to follow our original course of the plan.

He expects me to fail. But I hope that's only because he's angry, and not because he genuinely thinks I don't care. Because I do. I really do. If I didn't, Richard wouldn't be holding them to torture me. That bastard knows what he's doing. And it kills me to admit that he might be winning.

"It has to be." Jade frowns and crouches down, shuffling closer to the house.

I follow right behind, quickly hiding behind the tree and signalling my men to do the same. If there's anyone inside, our only advantage is the surprise factor.

"It's too quiet," I say and look around.

The expanse around the house is dark, empty and too quiet. If there's anyone inside, at least some kind of noise or movements should have been there. But there's nothing. The only reason I haven't given up on her is that the lights inside the building are turned on. That means someone there, perhaps too good at keeping it low.

"Just...just trust me on this, okay?" Jade turns to look me in the eye.

I don't know if I can, but I give her a nod, anyway.

"Where did you get this information from?" I ask, as we get a little further close to the building, still doing our best to stay stifled in the dark.

"Does it matter?" She mutters and takes the cover of a tree, just like me.

"It does, actually," I say and watch as she gives me a long look.

I look away.

"Then ask me when we find everyone," she pulls out a gun from her back and loads it with a satisfying click. "Time to kick some butts. Are you ready?"

I scoff. "We're not strangers, Jade. You should know I'm born ready."

In less than a minute, my men are shrouding the house in a close circle. Jade takes the lead from the backdoor while I signal two of my men to give me cover before I sneak towards the front door and wait for Jade and my men to take positions.