TWENTY TWO

The anniversary celebration at the luxurious hotel owned by the Gracias family was more lavish than I expected

The anniversary celebration at the luxurious hotel owned by the Gracias family was more lavish than I expected. But I should have known better.

Armonica came from a wealthy family and she seemed like a person who would spend every penny of hers if it contributed to someone's happiness. She was a devoted daughter, and it'd be a lie if I wasn't looking forward to meeting her parents, curious if they had any similarities, or what sort of people raised a wonderful girl like her. Although they probably wouldn't have time, seeing the long queue of affluent and important people loitering all around them.

It went without saying when Brandon and I made it to the venue and Brandon's gaze fell on her, waiting for us at the entrance, he took fifteen extra seconds to pull his bearings together. He could barely breathe at the sight of her. And even though I had gotten used to his flustered reaction around this girl, it still baffled me that he was the same guy who used to be an annoying player back in school. Annoying because he tried those tricks on me too and all I could do was barf.

But I had been immune to guys like him since a very young age. You know the kind who flirt their way into your heart, who knew every trick in the book of how to make a woman fall head over heels in love with you. I was more of a straightforward type. If I liked someone, I would confess my feelings without a second thought. And if there was someone I did not like the company of, I wouldn't waste time tending to their feelings or making sure I didn't hurt them too badly. It was better to let people down than lead them on and break their hearts afterwards. It was an even more brutal way to deal with the situation. Better to be blunt than sorry.

"You look great. Stop acting weird," I told him, rolled my eyes and shoved Brandon with an elbow when he ran a hand through his hair for the hundredth time since we left home.

"I'm not," he sounded offended.

"You so are. You're even sweating. Ew!"

"Shut up!" He shoved me back, although I was quick to step aside and skip the cordial attack.

I laughed. "Aw, you're blushing!" I pinched his cheek but he slapped my hand away.

"Keep your hands to yourself!" he snapped grumpily. "And I'm not!"

"Whatever floats your boat."

"Since when did you become so annoying, Z?" he moved past me, stomping his feet towards the entrance where Armonica seemed occupied on a call.

"Since you fell so hard for that girl over there!" I grinned, eyeing Armonica and quickly falling behind his footsteps.

Before Brandon could come up with a reply, Armonica disconnected the call and turned to face us. A huge smile on her face.

"You came!" she said cheerfully, wrapping her arms around me and squeezing me just a little fondly. "I started to wonder what was taking you guys so long. The cake-cutting ceremony is a minute away from commencing. Come on, let's get in."