FIFTY NINE

"I'm sure you have questions

"I'm sure you have questions." A familiar voice rang into my ear.

It didn't a lot to recognize the voice from the morning when I woke up in the car. Despite still being blindfolded and held down by metallic belts around my legs, abdomen, and chest, I was trying my best to not lose my shit.

It's hard. I swear.

It's like standing on the edge of a cliff, not knowing which one step would send me tumbling down the rocky slope.

After that unknown man left me with a dreadful warning, a few minutes later someone pushed at the gurney—the wheels churning and squeaking underneath—and brought me to another room that smells like something died in there.

No one talked. No one said a word.

Well, until I heard a door open to my right and footsteps echoed throughout the room.

"You lied!" It might be because of the drugs or that I'm famished or that I'm scared shitless, but when the two words left my mouth, they broke and sounded pathetic.

The man chuckled from somewhere in the room. "I guess no point in lying about that one, huh?"

"Why are you doing this? What is this all about?"

"I think I told you what this is about. Hide and seek, remember?"

"But that's not all, is it? It can't be."

Another chuckle. "You sure are smarty-pants, aren't you? Guess, Maddox didn't just pick a rag for her pretty face."

My mouth twisted at what he just called me, but with another deep breath, I could look past it. He was probably trying to get me all riled up. Although I couldn't think of a single reason why he would aim for such a thing when he literally had me all bound and at his mercy. "Let's not stray from the main point." I could have rolled my eyes if it wasn't for whatever was blocking my sight.

"Of course," he said. "The main point. Alright. Fine. Considering we do have some time to spare before we're ready for the finale, I'll be willing to answer any questions you might have. Shoot."

To be honest, it sucked to think if someone was even looking for us or not. What if no one was? Brandon was the last person I imagined finding me—deep in my heart, I always expected Maddox to show up and save the day. Clearly, I made a fool of myself for the millionth time and no less. When had he ever done something that I hoped for him to do?

I expected him to return my home—he never did.

I expected him to be the good man who ignited those sparks beneath my chest—we all know how that one turned out.

I expected him to leave me alone—nope, he couldn't even do that.

And last but not least, I expected him to be loyal to me—but he slammed a hammer on my expectations once again and now my heart was in pieces.