SIXTEEN

"I like this one," after devoting the entire day to checking out one apartment to another, I finally found the one conforming to my suitability

"I like this one," after devoting the entire day to checking out one apartment to another, I finally found the one conforming to my suitability. Well, more like my affordability, but you know what I mean.

"It's an excellent choice," the real estate agent—a woman in her late thirties and hair so red I had to blink multiple times to adjust my eyes—agreed enthusiastically. And even though she had been muttering similar lines for almost every apartment that we had been to, it still made me a little pleased to know that she acknowledged it. "Oh, you should check out the balcony. Wonderful view. It's open and spacious. You can even put a cute table and some chairs. A perfect setup for morning and evening tea. And the neighbours are also lovely people. You'll have no problem adjusting," she gushed out, her chirpy voice getting more and more excited every minute.

"Well, it's a little distant from my workplace," sauntering over to the balcony and glancing around the animated neighbourhood, I sighed blissfully. The view was actually calming. "But I think we can make it work."

"Excellent," she tossed another peppy cheer. "So, should we head back to the office and talk about the rest of the things?"

"Sure. But can we do it tomorrow?" I turned around and adjusted the bag over my shoulder. "It's kind of late and I have one more thing to take care of before heading back home."

"No problem," she said with a bright smile. "Let's fix it for tomorrow."

After setting up the meeting for the next day, I called for a taxi and gave the address of Brandon's office to the driver. I still had to apologize to him for what happened at the wedding the day before yesterday. I didn't plan any of that, obviously. How would I've known Maddox Richmond would attend the wedding, too?

Except I should have.

Brandon had shown me the wedding card days before. But I stupidly didn't pay attention to the details that could have made all of our lives easier.

For example, how the groom and Maddox shared the same last name. But none of that mattered now.

Not anymore.

Everything that happened between Maddox and me—it's my fault, I didn't reveal any of that to anyone. Not even mom. They had no clue about the slap or the sex or the fact that Maddox had been behind all the terrible fates that ensued after we lost our home.

I was the one to blame here. And I wasn't about to withdraw from that.

The only satisfaction that kept me sane during all the discord that I caused was that Maddox got what he deserved. Oh, you should have seen the look on his face. So red and so speechless. He looked as if he wanted nothing more than to throttle me. But he couldn't. Because everyone was watching. And if he had acted out, he would have been the centre of everyone's indictment. After all, a girl wouldn't just pour the entire glass of wine on someone unless she had a solid reason, much less the brother of the groom. Little did he know I didn't mind being the villain of the story. Not his story, anyway. Wasn't that something I promised him that day?