TWENTY FOUR

"Is everything alright at work?" Mom asked as she made her way into the living room where I was sprawled in front of the TV, watching some reality show that I never ever heard of

After what happened at the anniversary party, the smartest thing I had was to religiously avoid Maddox Richmond and his so-called cousin, Armonica. Under no circumstances had I any intention of running into them. I hadn't even been to my apartment ever since, afraid that a certain cocky billionaire would show up unannounced like he always did.

Maddox and I were so unlike and contradictory to each other. We had nothing in common. He ruined my life for crying out loud, but I was so fucked-up in my head that repeatedly I allowed him the concessions that he did not deserve in the first place.

Most importantly, the one thing that I could never forgive him for was that he hurt my mom. I should be ashamed of myself for having literally any kind of relationship with him.

I wanted nothing to do with that man anymore, something I hope to have made clear to him that day, too. No more fooling around. No more talking about the spark, glitter, or fucking skyrockets. Nothing should matter as much as my will to push this man away from my life. He was toxic to my health and self-esteem.

"Yeah," I muttered, focused on the screen as one of the chirpy women on the show kept yelling at the other contestant. She looked really mad just because the man she was pining for had been more interested in the girlfriend of the other. "Why?"

Mom sat on the couch next to me, combing her fingers lovingly through my hair. "You look distracted."

"Huh?" confused, I turned my face to look at her.

She wore a worried smile. "It's been over two days since you came here and you have spoken like...four words in total. Are you sure nothing is upsetting you?" she arched an eyebrow.

Had I really been so quiet? I feel so bad now.

I switched off the TV and turned my body so I could face her properly. "Sorry. It's just that I miss you. I thought you could come with me today. But Brandon asked me for another week. He wants someone trustworthy to take care of the house, but I know he's lying. He's just gotten attached to us. To you. I feel bad for leaving like this...but we don't have any other choice either, right? We can't stay here forever."

It wasn't a lie. I had been worried about Brandon a lot, too. He had lived alone for so long that now the idea of going back to it might seem impossible to him. He wouldn't admit that openly, not when he knew how unreasonable that would make him sound, but I had known him since childhood. I could practically read him like a book. And though mom didn't mind staying with him, I knew she would prefer for me and her to live together. She was just too kind to hurt him.

"I worry about that boy, too," mom sighed, pushing stray curls behind her ear. "His parents...they do not seem to be a part of his life at all. Sometimes I feel like making a call to them and giving them a piece of my mind. The day before yesterday I almost did. But then I stopped myself. I wasn't sure if Brandon would appreciate me talking to his parents. He might end up getting more hurt."